[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
Twisted Experience and TCW - View topic - Something I hope will be useful to you...
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Something I hope will be useful to you... 
Linda McMahon

Post Something I hope will be useful to you...
For a while now there's been a small subset of feuders who took this collaborative fiction thing a little further than everyone else. Not content with merely feuding with each other, we started developing a linked backstory, which took on a life of its own and became a story in its own right. I refer of course to what we (fairly inaccurately) call "The War in Hell". Even now, we often refer to aspects of this shared backstory in our feuds, and this can make it difficult for those outside of our small group to enjoy feuding with us. As accessible as we've tried to make our stuff, it's just a fact of life that there's no way to easily present all the relevant information in a way that's easy to find.

Until now...

For a while, there's been a thread in the NHFC forum called the War in Hell Glossary which had a short paragraph about every person, place, event and concept in the War in Hell backstory. It was a bitch to edit (because you had to edit the entire post and find the bit you wanted to change), not very attractive and really not that practical. So I had the idea to make it into a wiki, and went searching for a website that would give me a free one. Within about two seconds I had found it, begging the question of why I didn't just do this in the first place.

Anyway, after a few days work, we've got this thing to a fairly completeish stage. It's a wiki, which I'm certain you're all familiar with, but not anyone can edit it; just people I allow. This is because it's not relevant to random people on the internet that might stumble across it, so I don't want them playing with it.

Hopefully this will stop people feeling like they can't really enjoy feuding with myself, Freya, Dante, Kermit, etc. for fear of some random thing happening that requires searching through pages of non-match feuding: instead, just go to the wiki and search! You'll find a (pretty short) article summarising everything you need to know about the person, place or thing.

Obviously, this thing is still limited right now, but we're hoping this might potentially become a backstory resource that will go beyond the small number of feuders to whom it currently relates and be a useful resource for the fed as a whole.

- it's a space opera novel I wrote.

I have some shit on Kindle too: ,

Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Under Carder

This is excellent man, but its unfortunate its merely limited to the war in hell. There are eight years of combined 411, ECF, TCW & FWR history that could definitely be added to this, or created in a site to mirror this.

Of course that would be very...........ambitious.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:46 pm
Linda McMahon

And beyond my abilities! I wasn't here for most of the history of the feds, so this just covers my part in it.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Under Carder

But I am the Masked Man, and I know all.......................

Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:31 pm
Too much time on my hands

That is a great idea, we wouldn't let one person do the entire history of TCW all of us can probably add our own history and background to a wiki that's relevant to our character though a lot of us don't have a deep backstory like those involved in the War in Hell have and probably have no problem editing their profiles.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Linda McMahon

I'd like to see it done, but I suspect I'm not the man to mastermind such an operation. I know Lance is currently working towards making the main site into a useful resource for the fed and it may be possible to create a wiki to work in tandem with that.

It's probably a good idea to keep a hypothetical TCW wiki separate from the War in Hell wiki though, simply because only about five pages on the latter are even relevant to the actual fed :P The idea with this thing is to catalogue and record all those little snippets of backstory that some of us have. In fact, it's probably most of us now...

Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:55 pm
Profile E-mail
411's Prima Donna

David Hardy's Title History:

411Fed 2004 Tag-Team Turmoil Winner (RoXoRz) 8/15/04
411Fed Tag Team Champion (RoXoRz) 11/24/04 - 3/2/05
411Fed Intercontinental Champion 3/2/05 - 6/6/05 (Merged with ECF Transcontinental Title)
411Fed/ECF Transcontinental Champion 6/6/05 - 11/28/05
TCW Aftershock Champion 3/6/07 - 5/2/08

Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:39 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Can thou not hearest? Let me turneth it up!

If we did a wiki for all of TCW, or TCW/411/FWR, I'd like it to be something that sits on our site... I believe the software is easy enough to install and it would be safer here than up somewhere else! Plus easier to find.

I have no money, I am a failure, my leaders have led me to ruin, and I welcome the absolving embrace of death.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:58 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Under Carder

Well, I'm sure I could start putting together the written end of it (well the old school stuff from 411 and ECF), but I wouldn't have a clue how to convert it. And I agree it would have to be on this site.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:05 pm
411's Prima Donna

David Hardy's Title History:

411Fed 2004 Tag-Team Turmoil Winner (RoXoRz) 8/15/04
411Fed Tag Team Champion (RoXoRz) 11/24/04 - 3/2/05
411Fed Intercontinental Champion 3/2/05 - 6/6/05 (Merged with ECF Transcontinental Title)
411Fed/ECF Transcontinental Champion 6/6/05 - 11/28/05
TCW Aftershock Champion 3/6/07 - 5/2/08

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:53 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

Confundo Ergo Sum

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]