[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
Twisted Experience and TCW - View topic - Havoc Discussion Thread
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Havoc Discussion Thread 
411's Prima Donna

David Hardy's Title History:

411Fed 2004 Tag-Team Turmoil Winner (RoXoRz) 8/15/04
411Fed Tag Team Champion (RoXoRz) 11/24/04 - 3/2/05
411Fed Intercontinental Champion 3/2/05 - 6/6/05 (Merged with ECF Transcontinental Title)
411Fed/ECF Transcontinental Champion 6/6/05 - 11/28/05
TCW Aftershock Champion 3/6/07 - 5/2/08

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:44 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

Confundo Ergo Sum

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:56 pm
Linda McMahon

Darkness can get beaten up, you just can't conclusively deafeat him except in special circumstances - for instance, Bruce with Hammer's help and Dante because he's the Son of Lucifer. And, even then, it's pinning his shoulders to the mat for three seconds: not something a trained warrior would call being 'beaten'.

In real-life terms, Darkness didn't start this powerful, but rather has had his abilities steadily increased to match my record. It started out that he was a competent enough warrior to defeat Shogun, but then Shogun became a demon and he had to be powerful enough to defeat him (because he did) and so on and so forth until he became virtually invincible. I think it would only be a problem if I was losing matches all over the place and acting like my character was a tough guy (see: Stown). As it is, I have the stats to back up the reputation. So far anyway...

- it's a space opera novel I wrote.

I have some shit on Kindle too: ,

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Too much time on my hands

So when's the wedding? Between you and yourself I mean. It's obviously true love.

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:55 pm
Mid Carder

If Drakus doesn't get his post out by tonight, I'll post myself to close everything up.

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:59 pm
Linda McMahon

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:07 pm
Profile E-mail
411's Prima Donna

David Hardy's Title History:

411Fed 2004 Tag-Team Turmoil Winner (RoXoRz) 8/15/04
411Fed Tag Team Champion (RoXoRz) 11/24/04 - 3/2/05
411Fed Intercontinental Champion 3/2/05 - 6/6/05 (Merged with ECF Transcontinental Title)
411Fed/ECF Transcontinental Champion 6/6/05 - 11/28/05
TCW Aftershock Champion 3/6/07 - 5/2/08

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:10 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Linda McMahon

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Linda McMahon

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:12 pm
Profile E-mail

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:30 pm
Linda McMahon

That's because, currently, the character is becoming increasingly more violent and morally ambiguous (the 'Inhuman Rampage') - that's why he did what he did to PD, which he never would have prior to Endgame. Darkness does fight, but I don't write fights in my feuds because I find it boring and cliched. If your read some of my feuding you'll see that I often actually skim over a fight scene rather than describe it in detail.

So, even though, in-character, Darkness fights (he's a warrior, after all - he's spent his entire adult life hunting things with lethal force), out-of-character, I don't like to actually write him fighting. That's personal prefrence though and if you must have a fight scene then you'll need an excuse to make it plausible because Darkness is written such that you can't just reach for a beatdown when you're short of ideas.

In my defence, I've had exactly zero complaints about my feuding style in the year and a half I've been here and everyone has simply accepted that Darkness can't be beaten up - much as Shadow can't be outwitted or Dante can't be freaked out.

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:36 pm
Profile E-mail

Or like Highone can't be outwitted, outlasted, or outplayed. :)

Excellent explanation though Thommy. Much appreciated.

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:49 pm
Linda McMahon

Exactly. Imagine if I wrote Darkness smoking blunts with Highone and, after smoking too much, Highone threw up while Darkness was unfazed. It wouldn't be true to either character. I appreciate that removing beatdowns from the equation is more limiting than the above (rather tenuous) example but a good writer should have no problem adapting. DeSean, for instance, found a good way into Darkness and Dante's psyches this session by using his religion to call them on their 'bullshit'.

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:53 pm
Profile E-mail
I am bad. I am to blame.

WWWMDD?

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:53 pm
Linda McMahon

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:57 pm
Profile E-mail

Why wouldn't I? I never said I wasn't posting again.

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:55 pm
Linda McMahon

It was my understanding that you weren't going to post again - I did make sure of that before I posted as my last post was intended to round off the feud in a satisfying way. Never mind though.

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:58 pm
Profile E-mail

How could you have "made sure" we weren't going to post another time when neither DeSean or myself stated such? I know you said you assumed we wouldn't go again and that your post would wrap things up, but no reply from either of us said we agreed with with such. Anyways, I took great care to not make my final post more about selling the brutality of the match and the ageless conflict at the root of the battle between Infinty/Hellfire (good vs. evil), than trying to introduce storyline aspects nobody could respond to or messing with any continuity that had been set up.

Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:06 pm
Linda McMahon

Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:13 pm
Profile E-mail

Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next