[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
Twisted Experience and TCW - View topic - Havoc: Darkness vs Inferno
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:51 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Havoc: Darkness vs Inferno 
Can thou not hearest? Let me turneth it up!

Post Havoc: Darkness vs Inferno
<center>Darkness vs Inferno</center>

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:18 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Linda McMahon

The rain lashed down from a tortured sky, pounding with arhythmical fury on bare earth. Broken, dry ground soaked up the water, but the land had been dead too long for anything to feed on it and grow. Instead, dust simply turned to sludge.

A baroque shape strode through the storm. A flash of lightning illuminated the hard, feral shape of its rotting face: jagged teeth bared in a rictus of hate, pinprick eyes that had watched the rise and fall of civilisations.

Pale knuckles tightened on the hilt of a curved sword.

Darkness's eyes opened, and he frowned for a moment at the white ceiling in front of him. He blinked, and then heard the knock on the hotel room door that had woken him. He sat up, letting the sheets pool around his waist and then swung his legs out of bed. The carpet was soft beneath his toes, but the knocking was growing more insistent, so he straightened and crossed to the door.

His Slayer Sense told him it was just a human, but he knew better than to let his guard down. He opened the door slowly.

"Hello?"

"Darkness!"

The towering shape of Acolyte shouldered its way into the room before Darkness could say anything.

"Cordazer? What's wrong?"

"Azrael, that's what!"

Darkness blinked. The name seemed to set off some twinge of recognition in his head, but he couldn't focus on it long enough to put the pieces together. "Azrael?"

"Did you see the video package on the show?"

"No..."

Acolyte threw his hands in the air as he sat down on the leather sofa that was on one side of the large hotel suite. "Some guy with white hair, a white outfit and a religious gimmick! He's completely ripping off my act!"

Darkness looked at Acolyte who was dressed in ordinary clothing - jeans and an NHFC t-shirt - and considered the large man's complaint. "To be fair, Cordazer, you haven't been a member of the active roster in quite a while."

"Well, that's true, I..." Acolyte glanced at Darkness, apparently noticing him for the first time. "Why are you in your underwear?"

"You got me out of bed."

"I did?"

"Yes." Darkness glanced at the clock on the bed stand. "It's three in the morning."

"Oh. Guess I didn't realise. I was playing Mario Galaxy."

"I have no idea what that is."

"It's a...never mind." Acolyte rubbed his jaw. "What should I do, Darkness?"

"About what?"

"About this Azrael guy!"

"It's interesting that Stern would choose to hire someone who so closely matches your physical appearance, and who has an explicitly religious gimmick," Darkness observed, "but I've noticed other similar examples in TCW recently."

"Yeah?"

"Yes. The Prophet, Drako, Ivan, Steelfist, Inferno...all of them have a supernatural element to their characters."

"You think something might be up with....our enemies...?"

Darkness shook his head. "No, you misunderstand me. There's nothing sinister about those individuals - they're just wrestlers. The only strange thing is the fact that Stern hired them when she's made no bones about the problems that the NHFC are causing her. Why hire bowdlerised versions of the employees you're trying to get rid of?"

"Bod...bol...bo...what?"

"Never mind."

Darkness turned back to the door. "Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Cordazer. Was there anything else you wanted?"

"Uh...no, I guess not," Acolyte replied as he stood up. "How are things with you anyway?"

"Well enough."

Darkness opened the door and gestured Acolyte through, but the young man started at the gesture.

"Are you all right?" Darkness asked him with a frown.

"Oh...yeah...just...your hand..."

Darkness looked down at the arm he'd pointed with and realised that his prosthetic wasn't attached and he'd been motioning with the bare stump. "I'm sorry. Does it bother you?"

"No...I mean...um..."

"Don't be embarrassed. Your reaction is natural. Very few people are comfortable around missing appendages."

"You don't seem to be uncomfortable..."

"I have to live with it."

Acolyte made a barely audible ‘ah' sound and stepped through the open doorway. "Well...see you around I guess."

"Goodnight, Cordazer."

Darkness shut the door and walked across the room to the balcony doors. Sliding them open with his good hand, he stepped out onto the balcony and looked at the night sky. Unlike in his dream, the air was clear and crisp, the stars numerous and shining with crystal clarity. Whatever storm there had been seemed to have passed.

"Can't sleep?"

Gwen was sitting on the floor, her legs crossed and her spear-stave lying in front of her. Darkness was so used to the presence of The Children in his immediate vicinity that he hadn't even realised she was there.

"Cordazer woke me up."

"Cordazer?"

"Acolyte," Darkness explained.

"Oh. You should just call him by his real name."

Darkness lifted an eyebrow slightly. "Cordazer is his real name..."

"No, not his given name. His real name."

"I'm not sure I understand the distinction."

Gwen laughed. "Did you really think me being called Gwen was a coincidence?"

Darkness shook his head. "You've lost me, I'm afraid."

"Gwen means ‘white' in a number of Celtic languages."

"It does?"

"Yes. I was given that name because of the colour of my hair."

"Well...obviously..."

"Werewolves don't just have any old names. All their names mean something about them - it's not uncommon for a werewolf to actually change their name as they go through life, actually."

"Doesn't that get confusing?"

"No, because we identify by smell, not by sound. A person smells the same whatever name you give them. Why do you think Freya gives everyone nicknames? It's because werewolves don't put so much stock in the words they use to describe people."

Darkness nodded thoughtfully. "So what's my ‘real name'?"

"Darkness. You picked well."

"And Acolyte did too?"

Gwen nodded. "I quite like this wrestling industry in that respect," she said, "it forces you to think of names that fit you on a subconscious level. Linguistically, it's interesting."

"Linguistically?"

She gave him a cryptic look. "There's more to some of us than just being your bodyguards, Darkness."

He didn't press her for more information. "What were you doing out here anyway?" he asked instead.

"Guarding you...one of us always stands watch..." Gwen looked embarrassed.

"Freya would say you were very silly," he told her.

"And what would you say?"

"I'm actually quite flattered. There's no need though."

"Probably not, but these are dangerous times."

Darkness thought back to his dream. "Perhaps."

Inferno watched his employer silently.

"You'll have to excuse the security, Mr. Inferno," Stern said, gesturing to the dozen or so guards that surrounded her, "but after your behaviour in our past encounters, I decided it was better to be safe than sorry."

She turned to the large windows that overlooked the arena floor. From her skybox, she could survey the preparations for the show, and right now the ring was starting to take shape.

"Inferno, I hired you as a solution to a problem. You're one of a number of roster members who represent exactly the kind of thing I don't like in my promotion, but which are a proven commodity with the fans." She spun around and extended a hand before clenching it into a fist before her. "The difference was to be control."

Inferno tilted his head.

"Sadly, it seems you weren't what I thought. I assumed, as someone who already had experience in the wrestling industry, you weren't likely to be one of Darkness's freaks. It seems I was mistaken, and that you, like, him, ‘live the gimmick.'"

She sat down behind her desk and clasped her hands. "But, once again, I'm stuck. You're the Transcontinental Champion, which gives you a certain amount of contractual immunity. I appear to have one more Darkness and Freya on my hands."

Stern noted the way Inferno's muscles twitched whenever she mentioned the World Champion's name.

"So...now that I'm stuck with you, I'm going to make no secret of the fact that I'm going to use you for my own aims. You hate Darkness, correct?"

Inferno nodded.

"A man after my own heart. If you get in the ring with him, will you destroy him?"

Another mute nod.

"Accidents can happen. Don't go too far - that's not the kind of publicity TCW needs, now least of all - but I want him to lose at the pay-per-view. You're going to help me with that."

Inferno titled his head again as if considering the request. No expression was visible beneath the blue, feline eyes of his mask. After a few seconds, he nodded a third time.

"I can't control you; not with force, and not with fear, that much is clear, but your life will be much easier if you go along with my plans. As long as you remember who your friends and, more importantly, who your enemies are, we will have no problems."

Inferno stood up from his chair, towering over the security guards. The men that filled the room tensed as his alien eyes roved over them before settling on Stern again.

"Deal."

- it's a space opera novel I wrote.

I have some shit on Kindle too: ,

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Too much time on my hands

'Deal', he had said. Of course it wasn't so much of a deal as it was an acknowledgment that, for the time being, their interests were parallel. Stern had made a wise decision in giving Inferno a rematch with Darkness, and this time there would be no interruptions, no screwjobs, a fight between champions.

Inferno didn't expect Stern to give him a championship bout now, or anywhere in the near future because to her, he was no better than Darkness. That was fine for now, he was looking for blood, not gold.

The clouds came together overhead and let out their first dribbles of rain, shrouding the city.

"So beautiful," he said. He wished the sky would cry wherever he went, it made him feel so calm, even out in the open like this.

Now it was time for him to hunt once again, before the main fight. He was as a cat, moving like clockwork, on a ritualistic schedule. His last encounter with Darkness had made him feel so alive. So many beasts surrounded him, the 'children', willing to give their blood for him, and Inferno was willing to fight any of them. He wanted to see if Gawain had improved since their last encounter, as well. There was something about that werewolf...

As he stalked silently under the clouds, a whisper in the wind floated to his ears. Then the faintest sound...like the wind itself was laughing.

Chi?

Not her at all. It wasn't her style to stalk him.

Perhaps he was simply just losing himself. Anybody could take one look at him and say, "This man is a psycho."

He moved towards his quarry, tightening his mask.

-----------

The dim lights of the futuristic, marvelous piece of technology flashed. The incredible 32-bit quality of the speakers broadcasted it's symphony. The pixels lit up into a beautiful, colorful arrangement....showing a dinosaur, a mutated turtle, an ape with a tie, a midget with a mushroom on his head, and two Italian men dressed in red and green jumpsuits. Also, they were all driving go-karts.

"This. Is. Awesome." Gawain said, of his coveted new Game Boy Advance.

"Psh, it's just a toy," Gwen shot back.

He shook his head. "I never dreamed such a small little piece of plastic and metal could be this cool!" His fingers found the start button. "Mario GP, Time Trial, Quick Run, Options...how do I pick..."

Gwen gently put her palm to her face. "...shouldn't you be a little bit more serious about this? It's unbecoming of you. We're supposed to be bodyguards!"

"Relax, it'll be fine. You're serious all the time, sis, you should learn to have a little fun, live a little."

"Out of the question," she snapped. "The moment we let our guard down is the moment the enemy strikes."

"What enemy? Oooh, Mario, Luigi, Peach..."

Now Gwen was starting to lose it. "How can you be so...nonchalant? Do you think for one second the enemy is going to wait for you to put down that game?"

He shrugged. "I can still smell anyone coming, I got it covered..."

Gwen's hand snatched the game from his hands. "Do you even care about Darkness? Do you?"

Gawain's demeanor changed. "Of course I do, sis, we all do."

"Then how can you act like that when we're supposed to be keeping watch?! Do you even know what that looks like to me, when you're sitting there playing with toys?"

"I know how you feel, but..."

"Don't 'but' me!" Gwen shouted out. "You're acting like this is a game! I try...so hard...to stay by his side wherever he goes!" Her fist was clenched tightly, knuckles white. "Do you know how hard it was for me, when I couldn't go with him? When he went to Hell...without us?"

Gawain paused for a moment...then spoke. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to seem so...All I'm saying, is that maybe, just once in a while...we should try to live our lives. You know as well as I do...what happens at the end of them," he said grimly. "Maybe for just one day, we could relax. You try to do way too much, sis. There are twelve of us, after all...two of us gone won't be a big deal."

Gwen folded her arms. "I refuse. It's not a good idea."

"Give me a chance to change your mind, sis. C'mon. A few hours of your time..."

"One," she said firmly.

"Done."

-Updated on July 29th, 2008

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com -My favorite smart wrestling site.

CM Punk: Your WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION!

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:42 pm
Profile YIM
Linda McMahon

Gawain strode into the plush living room of the expansive suite Darkness had provided for himself and his companions. The Children were sitting around in various states of inactivity. Some of the younger ones were transfixed by the plasma T.V. on one wall while at least two had somehow gotten hold of laptops and were taking advantage of the hotel's Wi-Fi facilities.

"We're going out for a while," Gawain announced.

Lir looked up from the glowing screen in front of him. "We are?"

"No," Gawain pointed to himself and Gwen, "we're going out. Me and her."

"With Darkness?" Huon asked with a frown.

"No, just me and Gwen."

"How come?"

All the werewolves were looking now, and Gawain became slightly flustered, so his sister stepped in. "Gawain and I are just going out for a while. We won't be long. He and I decided that both of us could use some time off."

"So, do we get time off?" Cai piped up.

"Yes..." Gwen said slowly, "sometime. Um...we'll work out a system. We're only going for an hour anyway."

She turned away and walked out of the door, and Gawain watched her go before turning back to the others. "Quick, throw me all of our stuff."

Ogier, who was nearest their bags, raised an eyebrow. "Huh?"

"Just do it. I need those passports Darkness got for us."

Ogier shrugged and picked up Gwen and Gawain's bags. He tossed them over to the other werewolf.

"Right, Galadd, you're in charge ‘till we get back."

Galadd frowned. "I am?"

"Yeah..."

"How come?"

"Because you're third in command. Everyone knows that."

Galadd looked a bit surprised, but then threw the other Children a smug smile. The frown returned a second later though. "Why does anyone have to be left in charge if you're only going for an hour?"

"We'll be gone longer than an hour." Gawain pulled out the passports. "Which is why I need these."

Inferno did quick calculations in his head. Everyone supposedly has a talent, and what Inferno lacked in charisma, social skills, aesthetic appreciation, general knowledge and computational intelligence, he made up for with an almost inhuman aptitude for the infliction of suffering.

Gawain interested him. The fact that Darkness's bodyguards had the ability to transform into wolves didn't concern him in the slightest - Inferno didn't have the imagination to really consider the implications of werewolves running around the place - all that mattered to him was what it might mean for the man's combat capabilities.

Inferno knew Gawain was fast, and stronger than he looked too. He was also aware that Darkness had eleven other bodyguards surrounding him, as well as what appeared to be a fifteen-year-old girl, but he assumed there was likely more to her than met the eye. He didn't care what.

"I have to know what I'm facing," Inferno growled to himself. The sky above him was grey, but the rain had stopped, leaving a slick sheen across the parking lot. There were no shadows for Inferno to hide in, but that didn't bother him - he knew his quarry would know he was there anyway. His plan didn't depend on being hidden.

"Sooner or later," he said aloud, not caring if anyone might hear him, "Darkness will need to come here, and he won't come alone."

Inferno knew he'd meet Darkness in the ring, but Gawain...he'd only get a few chances at him...

Darkness entered the living room and looked around with a frown. "Where are Gwen and Gawain?"

Galadd got to his feet. "They're...uh...they're out."

"Out?"

"Yeah."

"Out where?"

Galadd just shrugged and looked a little awkward.

"Right," Darkness said, running a hand across his beard, "I was planning to bring them to the arena with me, but I suppose I'll go alone."

"I could go with you?" Galadd suggested, "Or, you know, any of us could."

Darkness nodded. "That's true, but I'm not anticipating any danger, I just like Stern to know I have allies to call on too."

"Well then," Galadd grinned, gesturing at himself, "who better than me to scare her?"

"I don't want to scare her..."

"Hey, Galadd," Lir interrupted, "if you go, who's in charge?"

Darkness gave Galadd an arch look. "In charge? Have you lot come up with some kind of hierarchy all of a sudden?"

"Well, I'm third in command," Galadd explained, "everyone knows that."

"Right..."

"And I'm the one who's most closely related to Freya," Lir added, "and given that you are she are..." Darkness looked at him and the green-eyed werewolf trailed off. "Well...the point is that I should come next."

Darkness shook his head. "I'll let you argue about who should be in charge and why, but seeing as Gwen apparently thinks Galadd should be the leader in her and her brother's absence, I'd prefer not to take separate him from his loyal followers. I'll find some people who don't have so much trouble with authority."

He walked through the room and pushed open the door into one of the bedrooms. Revenant was sitting on the bed, idly picking at her fingernails.

"I need to give all of you something more interesting to do," he observed.

Revenant smirked at him. "That's what you get for finding yourself a bunch of bodyguards you don't even need."

"I know. Want to come to the arena?"

"Why?"

"I have to see Stern."

"What does that have to do with me?"

"Nothing," Darkness shrugged, "I thought you might want to see where I work, that's all."

"Sure. Whatever."

"Great. Where's Llenlleawg?"

"Why would I know?"

"I thought you two were..." it was Darkness's turn to trail off at a withering look. "...Inseparable..." he finished.

"He's probably on the roof."

Given that the suite was on the top floor of the hotel, it didn't take them long to find the young werewolf. He was practicing with his spear-stave, spinning around and adopting the stances Darkness had taught him.

"Llenlleawg?"

He stopped moving and turned to Darkness and Revenant. "Yeah?"

"We're going to the arena."

"So?"

Darkness folded his arms across his chest. "So, you're coming with us."

"I'm fine. Thanks though."

"It wasn't a request..."

"Are you giving me orders now?" Llenlleawg asked, going back to his stances.

"Yes. You're a Neophyte and I'm the First. When you joined the Order and had that tattoo applied, you agreed to follow my commands."

"Well maybe I'm having second thoughts about being a Shadow Slayer?"

"No one leaves the Order."

"You did."

Darkness's face hardened. He hadn't had much contact with Llenlleawg since they'd left Hell, but he'd begun to notice the boy becoming increasingly stubborn and resistant to his commands. He wondered if it had anything to do with his apparent rift with Revenant.

"You're coming with us," Darkness repeated, his voice stern.

"I don't think so."

"I do."

"Good for you."

Llenlleawg spun on his heel, adopting a low, sweeping stance with his spear as he moved, but he suddenly found himself sprawling on the floor as Darkness's boot connected with his stomach.

"If I can't control you with respect," Darkness thundered, glaring down at him, "I will control you with force!"

Llenlleawg gaped at his fellow Shadow Slayer, but no words came out. A few spots of rain had begun to fall from the leaden sky again.

"I've taken a very lax attitude with your and Revenant's training, because I trusted that you were both competent warriors already. It seems I might have made a mistake though - you need a little education in following orders, or you're going to make a very poor Shadow Slayer." He turned to Rev, "And that goes for you too."

"Me?" She asked. "What have I done?"

Darkness ignored her and hauled Llenlleawg roughly to his feet. "We're going to the arena," he said, "if you don't like it, I'll send you back to the village. Understand?"

The dark-haired werewolf nodded mutely.

"Good. Let's go."

Gwen had figured out that something strange was going on a while ago, but had decided to trust her brother. Now she was wondering whether that had been such a bright idea.

"Gawain...why are we on a plane?"

He looked up from the in-flight magazine. "What's that, sis?"

"We're on a plane. It's been over half an hour since we left. Unless we get off right now, we're not going to be back within the hour."

"That's right," he conceded, "we may be a little longer than an hour."

"That's not what I agreed to."

"I know. But I just needed to get you out of the hotel so we can fly back to America."

She opened her mouth then shut it again.

"We can't do what I want to do in Venezuela."

"And what is that?"

Gawain put down the magazine. "Ever since we left the village, we've been thrust into this crazy modern world with all its bright lights and flashy technology."

"Right."

"And our benefactor is the number one pro. wrestler in the country. Since we've been on tour with him, he's provided for the thirteen of us a big hotel suite with multiple bedrooms, big televisions and who knows what else. We eat room service and work our way through minibar after minibar. Sometimes he hires whole floors!"

"So?"

"So he's rich, that's what!"

Gwen stared at him again. "So what if he is?!"

"Well, just look at him. Look at how he lives his life. He should be a celebrity but the only thing he's ever bought for himself is that stupid bike, and we can't all ride around on that."

"What are you trying to say, Gawain?"

He rummaged in the hand luggage he'd taken onto the flight with them and eventually produced a much thumbed magazine. "I've set up a meeting with a car dealership in Los Angeles..."

"What?!"

Gawain flipped open the page, revealing a picture of a black man, decked in gaudy jewellery, surrounded by an entourage of similar individuals. "See this guy? His name's Cam'ron. He's a rapper."

"‘Cam'ron'? That's not even a word..."

"And he has a crew that hang around with him. Sound familiar?"

"Are you comparing Darkness to this...musician...?"

"In a manner of speaking. Look, here's the main bit," Gawain flicked through a few more pages, "when Cam'ron and his pals go anywhere, this is what they ride in." He held out the page to her, and Gwen looked carefully at the picture he was pointing at.

"Those vehicles look very impractical..."

"They're called Hummers. Very big in hip-hop."

"They're big everywhere. Why would anyone drive such a monstrous machine?"

"Because they're cool," Gawain explained, shaking the magazine for emphasis.

"I don't think they fit in very well with Darkness's image."

"Well just imagine this then." Gawain lifted his hands and spread them apart, painting a picture for his sister. "A fleet of Hummers for Darkness and his entourage - that's us - all in perfect, reflective black. Blacked-out windows too, which he'll like. They roll into the arena, surrounded by screaming fans. Emblazoned across every one of them is that winged sword logo of his in white."

"That's ridiculous..."

"Is it, sis? Is it?"

"Yes!" she shouted, "And you're insane! We're getting off this plane!"

"Can't. We've already taken off."

She spun around in her seat and gaped at the scene visible through the window. Clouds floated past and the Venezuelan countryside was visible far below.

"Champagne, sir?"

Gawain looked over his shades at the stewardess and gave her a grin that showed off his fangs. "That'd be fantastic, thank you."

He took two glasses and handed one to his sister. She stared at it. "Is this first class?"

"Sure is."

"Your games machine...those ridiculous clothes and glasses...first class seats to Los Angeles at incredibly short notice and now a fleet of luxury cars...where are you getting this money?"

Gawain flicked a small plastic object into his hand. "Darkness's credit card. He's rich, remember?"

Gwen groaned.

"Hey, honey," Gawain said, leaning around to accost the stewardess, "can you bring us a brochure or a catalogue with all the duty-free crap you're flogging? Thanks."

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:56 pm
Profile E-mail

The darkness above all was unyielding and unforgiving, letting out a few spits of rain here and there, which Llenlleawg shrugged off. He kept taking glances at Darkness the entire way to the arena, a hint of frustration in his eyes. The closer they got to the arena...

He sniffed the air a bit. "I definitely smell somebody else, and they don't smell friendly, either."

Darkness looked up ahead. His Slayer Sense told him that this one was a human too, but..."Stay on your guard."

There would be no sneak attacks, or tricks. Moments later, they spotted him.

The tall shape of Inferno stood in the parking lot, hands at his side. Under the dark sky, his form looked like a shadow, with two emotionless, glowing eyes. He looked at the group, and spoke.

"I have been expecting you, Darkness..." he said slowly.

"Hmph," Darkness replied. "Have you not had enough?"

"Unfortunately for you...no. In fact...if you were going to see who you're up against, it's me. This time, with no bullshit ending." Inferno cracked his neck, and came closer. "In fact, that woman seems to really hate you...looks like she and I have something in common. Kind of disgusting, really..." His fists were clenched tight enough to draw blood.

"Your point?"

"She wants to see you lose at the next pay-per-view. I could care less what she wants, as long as I get to beat the shit out of you. I certainly do not care about your gold, either." He was starting to get dangerously close, the shadow of his form creeping...

"Fine, so beat the shit out of me then...if you can."

He tilted his head, searching for someone...but..."The werewolf I fought before...he is not here with you." The eyes of his mask focused on Llenlleawg. "You, the young one. Come. Attack me with all of your might, you beast."

Llenlleawg growled, and without a word, charged towards Inferno.

"Llenlleawg!" Darkness shouted, but the two had already locked up with each other. Inferno's emotionless 'eyes' pierced into his soul, the two matching each other in a test of strength. The two remained deadlocked, waiting for the other to make a move.

Both attacked simotaniously, each other's knee aimed at the other's stomach. They clashed, but Inferno thought faster, and brought his leg behind Llenlleawg's quickly, bringing the young werewolf to one knee.

"Not bad!" Inferno declared, grunting as he was now using his weight against him. "It is a shame, really...such strength, and yet, I pity your kind..."

"Pity?!" Llenlleawg yelled, slowly, but surely, pushing himself back up to a vertical base. He rolled suddenly onto his back, and, using Inferno's weight against him, pushed both feet into Inferno's solar plexus. The monster gasped, and lost his breath. His stomach felt as if it were on fire suddenly, but he didn't dare release the grip. He fixed one of his hands onto the werewolf's throat, the other still locked with his hand. He pulled himself upwards, just enough to remove his stomach from the attack, and rotated his body to the side. The grip on Llenlleawg's throat visibly caused him to gasp for air.

"Yes...pity..." Inferno gasped, struggling hard not to clutch his stomach protectively. "You...me...not so different..."

"Don't...compare me...to..." Llenlleawg choked out. Before he could take any action with his free hand, Inferno had pressed a knee into his chest and moved on top of him. He had moved his hand to a claw hold, clasped over the young fighter's mouth and nose and squeezing painfully on his face.

"Except...you can be saved," Inferno declared, "if I kill you like this..."

"Enough!"

Darkness' leg impacted with Inferno's skull, causing the world to turn upside-down, for a few moments. The hold was removed, Inferno stumbling back in pain. His vision blurred...

"Llenlleawg, get back, now!" Darkness ordered, glaring at him.

"But..."

"You heard me!"

Llenlleawg stood to his feet and moved behind Darkness. Revenant glanced over at him, but didn't say a word.

Inferno's vision slowly cleared, and he was staring at Darkness once again. "...nice job playing hero...now what do you say we get right to the...ugh!" The monster's head pounded, his insides felt as if he had swallowed molten lava...

...Inferno...

The wind whispered to him, and him alone. He grunted loudly, looking for the source, but found none.

"You...how dare you..." he growled. "I'll see YOU in the ring, Darkness!"

And he moved away, searching for a voice only he could hear...

------------------------------

"Just one moment," Gawain told her, "before we get going to the dealer, there's something I wanted to show you, while we're in the area."

"Oh, and what would that happen to be?" Gwen said.

They had just touched down in LA and gotten off the plane. Well, after Gawain had written down a dozen exorbitantly expensive duty-free items for future purchase (Why do you need a phone that stores music? Gwen had said) they were in the airport lobby.

"You'll see. It's a great place to hang out, and it has video games that you don't actually buy, but you pay for one play. I haven't gotten the chance to go there lately, but I figure now's as good a time as any."

"Well, hurry up," Gwen said, tapping her foot impatiently. "And stop spending so much of Darkness' money."

"This'll only take a couple quarters, I think..."

The sound of beeps, music, gunfire, and fighting reached Gawain's ears. His eyes focused on a dark section between several of the shops. Sure enough...

"Here it is," he said, and ran over, practically dragging Gwen along. "THIS...is the arcade."

"The arcade," she repeated. They walked inside, Gawain's eyes lit up at all the colorful cabinets surrounding them. One in particular caught his eye. The attract mode displayed a muscular person transfomring into a variety of anthropomorphic creatures and fighting hordes of zombies and beasts.

"Altered Beast..." he said, practically drooling. "I'll try this one!"

"I'll pass," Gwen said, sighing.

Cha-chink! Gawain let a small pile of quarters drop near the buttons as he went to slide a quarter in to the Player One slot. The screen lit up, beckoning him to Press Start. The moment he did, the machine responded in kind...

"RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!" it bellowed, startling him.

"Awe-some," he exclaimed, as the player character appeared onscreen...and so did his first adversaries. "Now how do I work this thing..."

"Hmph," Gwen said, turning away. All these machines...their bells and whistles, graphics, light guns...it all amounted to a children's playground to her. She could care less about any of this. She was already sick of it, sick of games. There was no time for games. Why did she even agree to such a waste of time?

"Screw this," she said, grabbing her brother's shoulder, "we are leaving."

Her brother didn't respond. His eyes were glued to the screen, pounding away at the plastic buttons. Destroying dozens of undead hellspawn, except this was a game...and he was loving every moment of it. Seeing him happy like that...maybe it wasn't all that bad after all.

Why the hell not?

Gwen slid next to him, and slid a quarter in to the Player Two slot. "Alright, tell me how you work this stupid thing."

Upon collecting enough power-ups, Gawain's character transformed in front of them...

...into a werewolf.

"...Hey, cool! Who'd have thought we'd get to play ourselves?" Gawain said.

Gwen scoffed. "Pah, it's a pale imitation."

And the two of them fought the evil forces of Neff, in their temporary fantasy world.

"WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM!"

Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:50 pm
Profile YIM
Linda McMahon

"This game is awful," Gwen said as she tapped the buttons on the aging machine.

"It's quite old," Gawain explained.

"It's not like you to be interested in anything that wasn't invented this month..."

He laughed. "You know me so well, sis."

"That's because I grew up with you."

"Hey, mister!"

Gawain paused in his button mashing and turned to the small child standing next to the cabinet. "Yes?"

"What's wrong with your face?"

Gawain grinned, showing off his long canines. "Everyone where I come from looks like this."

The child looked sceptical. "Where d'you come from?"

"England," Gwen interjected.

"David Beckham doesn't look like that," the kid said, "I think you're lying."

"I don't lie."

"Everyone lies."

"Not me."

"Liar."

Gawain smiled again. "Didn't we just go through this?"

The child fell silent, and Gawain leant towards him. "You like wrestling, kid?"

"Yeah..."

"You like Darkness?"

"Yeah..."

Gawain pointed a thumb at himself. "I'm Darkness's buddy. He and I, we're like this." He crossed his fingers.

The child looked unconvinced.

"Seriously. I told you I wasn't a liar, didn't I?"

"I still don't believe you."

"Oh no?" Gawain reached inside his jacket and pulled out the credit card he'd shown Gwen on the plane. "See this? See the name on it? If I don't know Darkness, how'd I get this?"

He held out the card to the child, who leaned closer.

"Believe me now?"

"Bring it closer," the child insisted.

"Gawain..." Gwen said, but he ignored her and held the card closer so the child could read it.

"See it?"

"Closer, mister..."

"Gawain..."

He glanced back at his sister. "What?"

Before he could react, the card had been snatched from his hand, and the child ran off into the crowds. Gawain stared at the place where the credit card of one of the most successful entertainers on the planet had been just a moment before.

"Oh bollocks..."

Darkness raised an eyebrow. "In the ring?"

"I think..." Llenlleawg began, but Darkness rounded on him and the young werewolf fell silent.

"Why did you allow him to goad you into fighting like that?"

"You don't hold back when it comes to a fight," Llenlleawg growled.

"The difference is that I pick my fights against those who have earned my wrath. Inferno is just a man."

"And yet, if he turns out to be your opponent, you'll fight him in a match."

Darkness's eyes narrowed. "That's different."

"How?"

"It's my job."

"Pretty handy that your job is to work out your aggression on anyone your boss decides you should fight. I guess we can't all be so lucky."

Darkness's jaw tightened, and he started to raise his hand, but Revenant stepped forward. "Hey, I think this little disagreement you two are having is very cute, but is a parking lot really the best place to do it?"

"Alright," Darkness pointed at Llenlleawg, "we'll discuss this when we get back to the hotel."

The werewolf rolled his eyes. "Fine."

Darkness turned around smartly and walked towards the arena, his two Neophytes in tow. The building's corridors were quiet, it being some days before the show, but the few members of staff they did encounter shrunk away from Darkness's withering gaze. They reached the door to Stern's skybox and Darkness entered immediately.

"Still haven't figured out that knocking thing, Darkness?" The Commissioner asked.

"Apparently not." Revenant and Llenlleawg followed him into the room and stood on either side.

"More bodyguards? How many do you have up your sleeve?"

"They're not bodyguards." Darkness gave Llenlleawg a sidelong glance. "They're just some friends of mine."

Stern affected a fixed smile. "Of course. I won't pretend to know your young male friend, but I assume she's Revenant." Darkness didn't let his surprise show, but Stern seemed to sense it anyway, and gave him a triumphant half smile. "Yes, I've done a little research into your diminutive companion."

"Unlikely." Darkness could feel Revenant's tension.

"You'd be surprised what kind of contacts a woman like me has, Darkness."

"Your contacts don't concern me." Darkness stepped forward and pushed the chair in front of her desk out of the way. "I just met Inferno outside the arena."

"Oh?"

"Yes. He said he'd meet me in the ring. I came here to find out what my match would be at Havoc, but I suppose he answered my question."

"I suppose he did."

Darkness straightened. "Did you send him after me?"

Stern laughed. "Send him after you? To do what?"

"Hurt me. Kill me."

"Why would I want to kill my own champion?"

"You tell me."

Stern pressed a button on her intercom. "Jenny? Could you send Adam and Jason in please?"

"Bored of me already?" Darkness asked.

"Oh, you're a lot of things, Darkness, but boring isn't one of them."

"I'll take that as a compliment."

"I wouldn't."

The door opened behind Darkness and the other Shadow Slayers, and the muscle-bound shapes of Adam Wilson and Jason Fragg shouldered their way into the already-crowded room.

"You think your bodyguards worry me, Stern? I and my companions have stared into the jaws of death more times than you could count."

"I can count very high, Darkness. I graduated college - unlike you."

Darkness paused for a second before rolling his shoulders and giving Stern a smirk. "Any more nuggets of information you plan on trotting out?"

She made a show of flicking through a large sheaf of papers on her desk. "Well, I have enough material to do one every meeting we have from now until New Year, but I think I'll save them."

"Once again, I'm flattered. So many women just fall into bed with me and don't even take any time to get to know me."

Stern laughed again. "Save the innuendo, champ - you're not my type."

"I'm not sure we'd be compatible anyway." He turned his back on the Commissioner and eyed her two bodyguards. "Do you two really think you can intimidate me?"

"All they need is the chance, Darkness," Stern said, "You lay a hand on me, or them, and it's all the pretext I need to strip you of your title and fire you."

"Titles," Darkness corrected, glancing over his shoulder.

"What?"

"Titles. I have two. Do your research....ma'am."

He pushed past the two large men and Llenlleawg and Revenant fell into step behind him as he left the skybox.

Stern's lips were pressed together as Wilson and Fragg turned back to her. She tapped her fingers against the surface of her desk. "It's not my week," she told them, eliciting no reply from the taciturn men, "but find me Inferno. I never told him to go after Darkness."

Wilson and Fragg exchanged a glance. "No," Wilson said, "of course not..."

"No, I didn't," she insisted, "but I will be now. All I need is one unprovoked attack from that man and, since Inferno is so keen to start a fight, why not make everyone happy."

"Except Darkness..." Wilson said.

"Yes, except Darkness," Stern agreed.

"Man, you sure hate her, huh?" Revenant hadn't stopped grinning since they left the skybox.

"There is a certain amount of friction, yes."

"I mean, I thought you and Freya bickered, but that was a whole other level!"

"I'm glad you enjoyed yourself."

"I see you controlled your temper with her," Llenlleawg observed.

"I'm not the one with the anger issues."

"Could've fooled me."

They approached the lobby of the arena and Darkness began to massage his left wrist, where his prosthetic joined the stump of his arm.

"Something wrong?" Rev asked as his pace slowed.

"No..." he looked around, "just thought I felt...something..."

Llenlleawg stood beside him. "I didn't Sense anything."

"It wasn't like that."

"Then what was it?"

Darkness looked around him, his eyes narrowed. "I don't know..."

Inferno cringed as he clawed at his skull. The rain was harder now, pattering down against his heaving shoulders. His fingers grasped at the edges of his mask.

Take your mask off...

He lifted it away from his flesh, feeling the cold agony of exposure as the rain touched his flesh.

Not that one.

He clenched his teeth and, as he stared up at the tortured sky, his eyes blazed with infernal glory.

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:42 am
Profile E-mail

Inferno clutched at his face, pulling the mask quickly back over it. The shield from exposure back on, he whirled around, looking for the whispers.

"Who are you?!" he growled.

No answer. The rain poured harder, however. The cold sting of the raindrops was of no concern to the monster. He kept searching the darkness for the voice.

"I demand to know!" he said, fists clenching.

Not ready yet...

Inferno punched the side of the building, busting his fist open under his glove. "Damn you!"

Save the anger for your opponent.

"What do you WANT?!" he said.

In an instant, light and shadow began to twist together...and then inverted onto each other. A sight which only Inferno could see...and then, a hazy form before him. It did not materialize, rather, it was as if it had been there all along, and he had simply overlooked it.

I want you to know yourself. Once you know yourself, then you'll be able to know me...

"I already know myself," he scoffed.

Yes, about as well as a child knowing the nature of the world.

"What would you know about me?"

Everything.

"Tell me."

Go fight in your little wrestling match first, and then maybe I'll tell you more...

"STOP!" Inferno's vision burned white hot, just before darkness and light returned to their original state. The rain returned to a mere drizzle.

His mind cleared. There was only one thing for him to do now...

------------------------------------------------------------

"You just let Darkness' credit card get stolen by a kid." Gwen was beside herself.

"He tricked me," Gawain said. "It was shinanigans, I tell you!"

"I did try to warn you." She folded her arms. "So why are you here complaining to me instead of chasing him?"

"...Right...I'll get right on it..."

The first thing Gawain did was bolt right out of the arcade. His eyes searched left and right for the child that took the card, but he had already disappeared into the crowd...and yet...

"Wait, what am I doing, I'll pick him out by Darkness' scent on that credit card..." he said. He shut his eyes, and sniffed the air, once.

"There he is..." He carefully followed it, proceeding slowly through the crowd. He had to concentrate and find him fast before the faint scent got lost in the shuffle.

Of course, it wasn't too hard to find the kid in the first place. He was in a duty-free electronics shop with a handful of gadgets in hand, going on a shopping spree.

"Kid-" But he spotted Gawain immeadiately and took off past him.

"Damn you!" The werewolf followed after, pushing through the crowds. One advantage the kid had...he was smaller, and could slip between people easier. But Gawain wasn't about to lose a kid. He stayed on the faint scent he had, remaining patient, even if he couldn't see him....

Then he saw the kid.

"Gotcha." He charged right for him...

And the kid pointed a finger in his face. "That's the scary man who's trying to kidnap me!"

He stopped. Two airport security guards moved in front of the kid to face Gawain.

"But wait..." he said, shocked. "He stole my-"

"You can tell us the whole story when we take you for questioning."

"Don't worry kid, we'll take care of the big scary man."

They each grabbed an arm and dragged him off. "This is wrong! I'm the victim here!"

Not too far away, Gwen slapped her forehead in disgust.

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:42 pm
Profile YIM
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]