[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
Twisted Experience and TCW - View topic - Friction: Matt Strikmore vs Stephen Hawthorne
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:59 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Friction: Matt Strikmore vs Stephen Hawthorne 
Can thou not hearest? Let me turneth it up!

Post Friction: Matt Strikmore vs Stephen Hawthorne
Matt Strikmore vs Stephen Hawthorne

I have no money, I am a failure, my leaders have led me to ruin, and I welcome the absolving embrace of death.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:51 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Too much time on my hands

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:04 am
Mid Carder

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:49 am

Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:28 pm
Mid Carder

(The poor woman... She was clearly drunk, yet she still found the need to climb back onto that mechanical bull....for the 5th time. And from the looks of her, it was going to end just as quickly as the first four times.)

"Oh man! Is she gonna do it *again*?!?"

(Strikmore was having the time of his life, nursing a glass of beer and munching on some boneless wings as he watched this spectacle that was the "MBRDB" (Mechanical Bull Riding Drunk Broad).

"What about you man? Don't you think this is beyond hysterical?"

(Strikmore directed this question to Hawthorne, though from the looks of it, he didn't hear Matt. In fact, one could say he wasn't paying attention to anything at all in this bar, MBRDB included.)

Matt Strikmore: Hey....Captain? (Gently pats Hawthorne on the shoulder twice) You there man? You awake?

(Strikmore had taken to calling Hawthorne "Cap" or "Captain" after the superhero Captain America. Strikmore had mentioned in passing that he was a big fan of comic books, but Hawthorne didn't think it would lead to getting a superhero nickname. With a bit more concern in his voice, Strikmore nudged Hawthorne and spoke again.)

Matt Strikmore: You didn't drink too much did you? Ah shit, this is my fault.....I'll drop you off at the hotel....forget about picking up the tab here, this one's on me...

Stephen Hawthorne: (Finally snapping out of the state he's in) Huh? What?

Matt Strikmore: (A pause, he chuckles in relief) Oh man....you really spooked me there....what happened huh? You seemed like you were in a good mood before we came here... You a little buzzed?

Stephen Hawthorne: Drunk you mean? (Shakes his head) My last beer was at the other bar we went too...

Matt Strikmore: (A pause, he leans in closer and whispers) You still feeling a little...you know....weirded out after what you told me? Look, I told you....I don't think any less of you or think your strange or anything like that...In fact, I think it's cool that you're some time traveling superhero dude...

Stephen Hawthorne: Superhero huh? (He manages a chuckle) I wouldn't quite call myself a superhero...

Matt Strikmore: Oh?

Stephen Hawthorne: Yeah...I'd more call myself a....

(He slowly trailed off. Thing was, Hawthorne was only *just* beginning to wonder what he really was. Sure, he knew what his real past was, but he was still just in the beginning stages of this new found sense of himself.)

Stephen Hawthorne: ...Well....I don't know actually...

Matt Strikmore: Oh.... (He slowly trails off, then adds after a few seconds) You still seem like you have something on your mind....was there something you didn't tell me back at the first bar?

Stephen Hawthorne: ....You might say that yeah....

(Yes indeed, there was something Stephen hadn't told Matt yet...something he felt like keeping to himself for the time being.)

"When are you coming to bed?"

(He stood at the mirror, combing his hair and buttoning up his night shirt. In the bed was her, the one Freya had mentioned in passing a few weeks back. She was in her mid-twenties, long, flowing blond hair, crystal blue eyes, dressed in a light blue night gown, a perfect vision of beauty. He slowly looked upon her, then smiled a warm smile)

Stephen Hawthorne: In a minute babe...

(He put his comb aside, then walked the few steps to the bed and slid into it slowly. The two gently embraced and kissed for a few seconds before they finally broke off and snuggled closer together.)

Stephen Hawthorne: So....this is it huh?

Woman: The last time you hold me in my arms....yeah.... (She says this in a rather distant, sad manner.)

Stephen Hawthorne: (Kisses her forehead tenderly and strokes her hair lovingly) Emily...You heard what President Roosevelt said a week ago....Japan attacked *us*....unprovoked....they killed our boys down in Pearl Harbor....

Emily Hawthorne: (Nods understandingly, yet still sadly) Of course, of course, and it is a tragedy...but to lose you to war....

Stephen Hawthorne: When I signed up for the army....I knew a day like this could possibly come....I can't just chicken out now...not when the safety of the world is hanging by a thread....you understand right?

(She nodded silently. Before either one could speak another word, a small, young sounding voice called out in the dark.)

Boy's Voice: (V.O) Daddy....

Emily Hawthorne: It's Myles.... (A pause, she whispers) Should I tell him you're sleeping and you'll see him in the morning?

Stephen Hawthorne: (Shakes his head) I have to report to base early in the morning....he'll be too tired....I'll go see him now....

Emily Hawthorne: (She smiles and nods) Ok....

(The two peck on the lips, and Stephen heads out of the bed and down a hallway. He turns to his right and into another room, where a 6 year old boy, same blond hair, same blue eyes, is sitting up in his bed, clad in red footie pajamas, holding a teddy bear in his arms. Stephen slowly takes a few steps further into the room, then gets to the foot of the bed and chuckles.)

Stephen Hawthorne: It's way past your bedtime champ....

Myles Hawthorne: Daddy....mommy says you have to leave tomorrow.....where are you going?

Stephen Hawthorne: (A pause, he knew he had to tell his son eventually. Slowly heading over to the bed, he sat down upon it and placed his son on his lap) Well kiddo....I need to go to Europe.....

Myles Hawthorne: Why?

Stephen Hawthorne: Well...You've seen all of the news lately, right? (Myles nods) About what Japan and Germany and Italy have been doing? (Myles nods) Well...me and the other men in the army here need to go to Europe....to calm things down there....

Myles Hawthorne: Is it safe there?

Stephen Hawthorne: (Sighs) Probably not champ....we're not dealing with very nice people over there at the moment....

Myles Hawthorne: (Sadness overcoming his voice) When will you be back daddy?

Stephen Hawthorne: (Sighs and hugs Myles lovingly and gently, then ruffles his hair a bit) Gosh.....I don't know Myles....could be a few weeks....a few months....maybe longer....

Myles Hawthorne: (His voice wavering sadly a bit) Oh....

Stephen Hawthorne: Hey..... (Turns Myles around so the two are eye to eye) I want you to promise me two things right now....deal? (Holds up his pinky)

Myles Hawthorne: (He manages a small smile) Deal.... (They do a pinky shake)

Stephen Hawthorne: Ok....first....I want you to be a big, strong, brave boy for me....ok? And second....I want you to take good care of mommy....don't give her a hard time....be a good boy.....ok?

(He wasn't about to say something like "In case I don't come back" to him. The last thing he wanted was for Myles to sob himself to sleep. Slowly, Myles nodded his head.)

Myles Hawthorne: I'll be brave and good for mommy.....

Stephen Hawthorne: Good....That's my boy.....

(Stephen stands up, kisses Myles on the forehead, and slowly tucks him into bed.)

Stephen Hawthorne: Now get some sleep ok? You have school tomorrow....

Myles Hawthorne: (Nods, then, he slowly holds up the teddy bear in his hands to Stephen) Daddy....here....take Mr. Bear....he'll keep you company when you have to leave....I don't need him anymore...

(A pause, a wave of emotion swept over Stephen's body. His son, his very pride and joy, offering him this gift. God, he felt like crying, but he held it in for the time being. He had to, for Myles' sake.)

Stephen Hawthorne: (His voice wavering very briefly) That's....That's ok champ...you keep Mr. Bear....He probably won't enjoy Europe much...

Myles Hawthorne: Ok.....Daddy....I love you....

Stephen Hawthorne: I love you too kiddo....

(Myles reached up and hugged his dad, as Stephen hugged back. Soon, the hug was broken, and as Myles closed his eyes to sleep, Stephen slowly got up and walked out of the room, pausing only briefly to look back at his son. How was he to know it would be the last time he'd ever see him again?)

"Hey....Cap? Cap? You ok?"

(It was Strikmore again. Hawthorne had obviously zoned out again, though his thoughts were to something more important then beer and mechanical bulls at the moment.)

Stephen Hawthorne: ....I....I need to go....need to be alone with my thoughts....

Matt Strikmore: Say what?

Stephen Hawthorne: Here... (Hands Matt a 20 dollar bill) Take this....my part of the tab....I'll see you at Friction.... I'll hail a cab from here... (With that, he stands up and briskly walks out)

Matt Strikmore: Wait! Wait a minute Cap! What's wrong? Talk to me man! (Hawthorne is gone, he sighs and shakes his head) Poor guy....what else could he be holding back?

(To Be Continued...)

Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:13 pm

*Matt tosses down a half eaten wing, letting it hit the table. He goes to grab his coat but sees all the sauce covering his fingers. Digging through a pile of used napkins, Matt yells over his shoulder.*

Matt: Cap! Yo Cap! Wait up! Steve!

*Aggravated by his unsuccessful search for clean linen, Matt just scoops up the pile of used ones and rubs his hands the best he can. Tossing the stack down on top of the basket of wings, Matt grabs his coat but notices a bit of drag on his left hand. He looks over and groans as he sees three napkins still adhered to his hand. Shaking his arm till they fall off, Matt thrusts his hand through the jacket sleeve and bolts out the door. As soon as the door shuts behind him, he hears a thunderous roar of applause from within.*

Matt: Great. Sixth time was the charm.

*Matt pulls the collar of his jacket up and quickly looks around him for any burn victims hailing a cab. Instead, all he sees is rain falling on the pavement. Matt almost yells for Hawthorne, but decides against it. No need to look like a crazy tourist. Despite his blood-alcohol level, he thinks he has a pretty good bead on where his hotel is, so he decides to start footing it. As is often the case, Matt reverts back to speaking to himself aloud.*

Matt: What the hell was that about? Captain America doesn't back out like that. Well, he did become Nomad for a while, but still. Hawthorne isn't Nomad. Doesn't even have a motorcycle. I was just trying to show the guy what he woke up in. Mechanical bulls and plasma TV. He should be so lucky! He saw the invention of canned food or something way back when, and then BAM, waterslides. He missed the boring years! Wish I teleported to the future. I'd be getting to my hotel in a hover tube or something. Someone needs to invent that. Hover tube. Shadow probably has one.

*Matt digs a rock out of the soft dirt with his foot and starts kicking it around the sidewalk on his way. He looks up every once in a while to catch his bearings, but it's really quite pointless. It's not like he knows any landmarks to guide him.*

Matt: You gotta figure that outside of the Hellfire Club, there's not a soul out there that believes his story. Hell, I don't believe it, but I think he does. So it's the truth, more or less. I guess I just can't figure out what freaked him enough to take off like that. Maybe he sees me as an enemy? We are fighting in a few days. Cap wouldn't share a beer with Baron Zemo or Kang or a Nazi. Maybe he sees me as Kang? I'm kind of from the Future, as far as he's concerned. Bah, I'm getting nowhere.

*Matt looks up and sees nothing familiar around him.*

Matt: In more ways than one. I should probably look for a ride.

*Matt parks himself on a bench facing a river. He's always been fond of the water.*

Matt: It's spring tomorrow, I think. The guys back home are probably already starting to wax down their boards. Ride maintenance will probably start up on the piers soon too. This'll probably be the first year I don't catch the first wave with the guys. Or grab a pizza at Sam's afterwards. Or look for an arcade on the boardwalk that still has Wrestlefest. That sucks.

*Matt kicks his rock into the water, watching the water ripple over his reflection after it makes contact. And it all starts to make sense.*

Matt: The future always seems cool when we think about it, doesn't it? This'll be awesome. That'll be awesome. Hover tubes. None of us actually go to the future though. It just becomes the present. No shortcuts. I guess I never thought how much losing the present would suck. Family and friends, gone. Familiar haunts are gone or Wal-Marted. Poor Cap.

*Matt pulls his head up from the water's gaze and sees headlights coming down the road. Matt rocks himself out of his seat and flags down the cab, hoping into the backseat and ruffling his hair to get the rain out.*

Driver: Where to?

Matt: Do you have any malls or anything still open?

*The next morning finds Stephen Hawthorne stepping up to the counter at the airport, coat draped over his arm as he lays his baggage on the checking counter.*

Woman: Name?

Stephen: Hawthorne, Stephen. Want my rank and unit too?

*The woman deadpans his remark. He speaks nearly to himself.*

Stephen: That would of killed where I'm from.

Woman: Sir, someone left a package for you this morning. One Matthew Strikmore.

Stephen: Is he on this flight?

Woman: No sir, he left earlier this morning.

Stephen: Oh. Thank you.

*The woman hands him the brown box and his boarding pass, shooing him off so the next person in line can step up. Stephen walks over to a small sitting area before security checking, looking curiously at the box the whole time. Setting his jacket down, he tears open the paper and finds a crudely taped cardboard box with a note taped to the top of it. Flipping the card open, Stephen can't help but crack a small smile.*

"For Captain America's Eyes only. - Hawkeye"

*He opens the box, admittedly timid, and peaks inside. The small box is filled with CD's and books. He grabs at a stack of the discs and slowly sorts through them. Van Halen's 1984. Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life. A best of the Beatles. Beside that is a digest of Time Magazine over the last sixty years. He pulls all these things out, and sees one more wrapped item at the bottom. Pulling it out, he rips off the newspaper covering and sees a VHS tape of "The Night Train to Munich", and a note attached to it. Hastily written on the sleeve of a boarding pass is:*

"Cap, living in the future doesn't mean forgetting the past. PS: The guy at the video store said this is from 1940, and has Nazi's."

*Stephen laughs and tosses everything into his carry-on bag. Maybe the future isn't all bad.*

Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:01 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]