[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
Twisted Experience and TCW - View topic - The World Cup
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The World Cup 
Linda McMahon

Post The World Cup
Let's go! Last time this ended with me vowing to stab Ronaldo.

1-1 against America? Fuck off.

- it's a space opera novel I wrote.

I have some shit on Kindle too: ,

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Under Carder

Post Re: The World Cup
Ties in sports suck.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:12 am
Linda McMahon

They do when it's my team against an inferior opposition.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:20 am
Profile E-mail
Too much time on my hands

USA, USA!

-Updated on July 29th, 2008

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com -My favorite smart wrestling site.

CM Punk: Your WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION!

Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:48 pm
Profile YIM

That must really suck for you, Thommy. I mean, most Americans make fun of soccer, and it's kind of your thing, and we tie you. I thought you guys were good at this by now.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:16 pm
Linda McMahon

It was the very definition of a fluke - an innocuous play forward bounced out of our keeper's hands and trickled into the goal. Hugely embarrassing, but England played better throughout (we scored within five minutes of kick off). Still, there's nothing wrong with the USA's team - they're a perfectly respectable side at this point, but not on England's level, despite the result. That's what makes it so annoying.

And it's called a draw, not a tie.

Also, I completely forgot that almost everyone else on this board is American when I started this topic...

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:46 pm
Profile E-mail

I don't usually follow soccer. I'm more into American football, but that's just me. >.>;;

I wouldn't even know where to watch the World Cup.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:13 pm
Profile YIM
Linda McMahon

Down the pub is traditional. Where's Magnus to talk about this with? I'm stuck with a load of fucking Yanks using words like "tie" and "goalie".

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Linda McMahon

Oh wait, I know why Magnus isn't talking about the World Cup: Sweden didn't qualify :oops:

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:03 pm
Profile E-mail
in a cardboard box

Updated on January 7th 2007.
"HISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools"
- Ambrose Birce, The Devil's Dictionary

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:03 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ
Linda McMahon

Everyone is saying the exact same thing about those trumpets ("vuvuzelas", apparently). So annoying. Hopefully as the tournament goes on and the fixtures that aren't yet set in stone start coming up they'll trail off, because I don't imagine so many South Africans will have tickets to those games. Also, South Africa will be out by then so they won't give a shit any more...

Couldn't agree more about Germany. A very impressive showing, albeit against a pretty dismal opposition (though I felt Australia took the fight to them pretty well before going two goals down). They look the strongest team so far, though we've obviously yet to see many of the big boys playing. Argentina look strong too. Greece and France look shit.

You've also nailed it with your assessment of England: we consistently lose because of some stupid piece of bad luck and that's exactly the kind of thing that shouldn't affect the outcome. Brazil and Germany and Argentina have bad luck too, but they have the ability to minimise its effect. You can see England know how to play, and they were dominant in the match against USA, with a clear advantage in terms of possession and chances, but it just doesn't translate into goals. And playing Hesky where he is is ridiculous: it's clear to anyone with half a brain that the ideal position for a player of his calibre is back in England, sitting on his fucking sofa like the rest of us. When he got taken off for Crouch last night, everyone in the pub cheered!

The offside rule is very simple:

When the ball is played forward, there must be at least two members of the opposition team (including the goalkeeper) between the furthest forward attacking player and the goal line. It applies only to players in the opposition half. This prevents players from just standing by the goal behind the defenders, waiting for a cross. Violation of the offside rule results in play being stopped and a free kick awarded to the other team. If a goal is scored when a player is offside, it will not count.

Easy.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:22 pm
Profile E-mail
in a cardboard box

Updated on January 7th 2007.
"HISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools"
- Ambrose Birce, The Devil's Dictionary

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:55 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ

Offsides isn't too bad. If you compare it to American Football, sure. But it's not that different than Hockey's offsides, at least in the method used to prevent teams from cherry picking.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:02 pm

That's not really that hard to understand, but then again I played on a junior soccer team as a kid. On the other hand I've forgotten half the rules anyway.

And I don't watch bowling. D:

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:58 am
Profile YIM
Under Carder

I've never watched any bowling on TV in my life.

Which before Saturday would put it in a virtual tie with Soccer for total time spent watching. Probably a bit more on the soccer end though.

Americans don't need to watch soccer. We have access to the good sports.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:49 am

Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:15 pm
Linda McMahon

Hahaha.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Linda McMahon

Well, I wasn't very impressed with Italy this evening. They didn't even seem to realise they were supposed to be playing football until they conceded a goal, and seemed content to hold a clearly inferior team to a draw.

In other news, the sky was blue today.

I hate the way the Italians play football. They like to win, but they never seem to have any passion for the game. They sit on one-goal leads or seem happy to play for draws and when they do fall behind, they just get angry and sloppy. The Italians would happily sit back and play conservatively, not scoring any goals and not letting any in, and then win on penalties if they could. That would be their ideal game. Italians are the reason Americans don't get football.

Here's hoping they don't retain this year, eh?

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:54 pm
Profile E-mail

I am enjoying all the animated gifs of soccer players pretending to get hurt and falling down.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:03 am
Linda McMahon

Is there one of the Ivory Coast player from last night yet? He got incedentally elbowed in the chest, went down holding his face and the Brazillian player that "did" it (Kaka) got a second yellow and was sent off. Absolute disgrace.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:29 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next