[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
Twisted Experience and TCW - View topic - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince thread
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince thread 
Too much time on my hands

Post Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince thread
I saw no threads on this...so...

I watched it, and found myself somewhat disappointed...

Now, you can't expect them to put a huge book on screen and keep everything...there's pacing issues, time issues...you have to fit it in 3 hours at the most...not to mention everything is at the director's interpretation of the source material. As Thommy has said about Watchmen, for me, the fun was watching the book come alive on screen.

But this wasn't nearly as good as the last two interpretations. There was far too much emphasis on love and side stuff like that, and not nearly enough focus on the plotline. The Half Blood prince is barely mentioned except for two major times in the movie, despite his textbook coming into serious play in the actual book. It also lacks something of a major climax...they cut out a major fight scene that was in the book. The only climax is a brief one for the downer ending.

Others might disagree but I didn't like this one as much as the previous films.

-Updated on July 29th, 2008

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com -My favorite smart wrestling site.

CM Punk: Your WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION!

Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 am
Profile YIM
World Champ

Post Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince thread
I haven't really been impressed with a HP film since the first one. I didn't like the directors choice to not have them in school uniforms, and most of the books are way too long to turn into one film and make a decent job of it. They're just making the adaptation for the sake of it, and not really caring about the story. And I know they can't visualise every single thing, but they always miss the bits I really enjoy, the actual classes on magic.

My mum wants me to go see this film with her and I'm worried I won't be able to follow it because I haven't read it in a while, which is why I didn't watch the last film, and was actually a massive problem when I saw Eragon.

R.I.P Wild Pegasus and Black Tiger II

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." DOUGLAS ADAMS (1952-2001)

Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:58 am
Profile E-mail

I'm going to go see HP: HBP on IMAX in a couple weeks so I hope it'll be good that way.

You guys are right about cramming too much into one movie. That's why I support the two movies being released for Deathly Hallows. I just wish they'd give a discount for the second if you buy a ticket to the first. People just might go see the second half to pay once and not twice.

We'll see how it all goes.

(Eregon movie was just the book on ludicrous speed fast forward)

Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:21 pm
Profile E-mail

So I saw HBP this weekend. Once again, I come out with a warm feeling about a Harry Potter movie.

I really enjoyed the more Malfoy. That kid nails that part perfectly all that time.
I also think the characters showed a lot more depth and companionship in this movie over many of the others. The last few, Ron and Hermione were just dialing in popular lines. Their sitting around laughing didn't seem nearly as forced as it was in Order of the Phoenix.

The quiddich they did in this movie was the best ever done and for the first time was exciting to watch.

I also had my doubts about the guy they cast as Horace Slughorn since he wasn't much like the way the physically describe him in the book but he worked out too. Although a little pathetic, he still worked.

What bothered me most was how Dumbledore still came off on screen as a gruff guy that pushes Harry around. Even asking Harry about his love life in this movie made him come off as out of touch, while the book version knows everything about everyone.

The jittery timing threw me off. I know it is sort of hard to give some reason for things in a long book but people showing up out of no where or recovering instantly is just weird.

It also saddened me that with all the previous movies, the director never really knew the true ending so they had to guess what was important to the show viewers. Now with Deathly Hallows done, Yates outright ignored pinnacle details that are introduced for the last story. How is Harry supposed to know about the cup or be reminded about the last diadem? Leaving out the battle at the end was a shame too. that could have been very exciting.

Oh, one more weird thing was using the Weasley happy violin song for credits after a somber ending. It was just one more example of what made the movie sort of jerky visually and emotionally.

What do you guys think? any other thoughts?

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World Champ

I saw it Friday. I agree with you it was very jerky, oddly put together with people showing up but they hadn't been seen getting there (like when Snape and Malfoy left the Slug party and had their argument in the corridor, but Harry had some how beat them out and was hiding around the corner.)

I've always thought the films cut out alot, and could always have been done better as split films, but this one more so than the others. I went and saw it with my mum, and if she hadn't reread the book the week before I'm sure I would have been bruised from her poking me to find out what was going on.

Also, what was up with the multitudes of Gollums turning up?

I think the very worst thing about this film though was one girl on the row behind me. She cried when Dumbledore died (no, I'm not putting a spoiler tag, the book has been out long enough), and as we came out of the cinema she complained that the last scene gave away the plot to the next movie...

R.I.P Wild Pegasus and Black Tiger II

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." DOUGLAS ADAMS (1952-2001)

Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:23 pm
Profile E-mail

I hate Harry Potter, because without Harry Potter, there wouldn't be a parody of Pinball Wizard named Quidich Ball Wizard. It's balls awful.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]