[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
Twisted Experience and TCW - View topic - So who will watch the watchmen?
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 So who will watch the watchmen? 
Too much time on my hands

Post So who will watch the watchmen?
Hah, see what I did there? The movie and the Latin verse? :)

I just finished the comic for the first time. I'm mostly sure Misfit had read this, anyone else? I really had to consult the wiki to get a couple things. I mostly liked it. I've read other stuff that was better but this is quite heralded. Is there anything you guys really liked about it? favorite characters? disliked characters? other topical things about the story or the movie? I guess this could be the place.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:42 pm
Profile E-mail
in a cardboard box

Well, Watchmen is a constant member of my comics top 5 along with Dark Knight Returns, Killing Joke and Sandman. I read the Watchmen when it was published in Sweden in the early 90s. As a fifteen year old I of course liked Rorschach at first as he was the "cool bad ass in a coat and hat". Later on I realised that Rorschach is the definition of the comic book vigilante gone horribly wrong, a scarred man who belives in a set and absolute rules set of blacks and whites. Slowly I began to like the whole story as opposed to specific characters.

I like the slowly growing Romance between Niteowl and SiIlk spectre, the Super human godhood of Dr. Manhattan, the fall of the rapist Comedian, and of coursethe scene where Ozymandias reveals that he has already acrried out his plan.

But most of all I love the scene with Manhattan and Ozymandias where the mere mortal Ozymandias tries to compare himself to the ascended godhood of Manhattan. He tries to equate his intellect with the near Godlyness of Manhattan. That scene defines Ozymandias as not only a blowhard but a man with a huge ego problem.

Over all I have to say that Watchmen is one of the best written graphic novels ever, I may liek SIn City and Dark Knight returns mor ethen Watchmen but Watchmen is still the comic book that made me grow up as a comic fan.

And because of that I'm shitty pants scared of the the movie being crap.

Updated on January 7th 2007.
"HISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools"
- Ambrose Birce, The Devil's Dictionary

Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:58 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ

Have you seen the trailer? do you like it so far? I think they have some good visuals going. I also like they asked Veidt in the comic what his favorite music is and he replies electronic rock or something and they used an electronic Pumpkins song in the trailer, a minor touch but a good one.

I did not like the pirate comic myself. I got how it was a play within a play and was motive to push parallel feelings and story, but being written so complicated it detracted from the flow of the story (to me anyway). Also at the end of each chapter I didn't like the lengthy text, but I also understand how it helped give the reader more insight. I thought it was interesting that Manhattan was everywhere in his own history as the exact same time. Although he never really admits it, I think that was somewhat maddening to him.

I totally agree about Rorschach being the lined up badass. His style is very similar to wolverine, but something was missing that wolvie has, I can't place it exactly.

I also have to admit subliminally I found it odd about Oz's assassination attempt. I didn't understand how the person missed and hit the woman. well there ya go.

On a positive note, I didn't like Night Owel II at first but as he grew a pair, I started to like him more. I'll be looking forward to the prison break out scene in the movie.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:25 pm
Profile E-mail
in a cardboard box

Updated on January 7th 2007.
"HISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools"
- Ambrose Birce, The Devil's Dictionary

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:16 am
Profile E-mail ICQ

Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:39 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: So who will watch the watchmen?
Movie thoughts here?

I just went back and re-read this thread....I'm glad to see the movie kept to some of the things we talked about. Noticeably, Dan Dreiberg was a sniveling wuss, the Owl II, he's a ass kicking sex machine.

Good cinematography all around, Comedian, Owl II, Manhattan and Rorschach were all acted perfectly.
Adrian and Specter II, meh.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:17 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]