[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
Twisted Experience and TCW - View topic - Robert Jordan and WofT
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Robert Jordan and WofT 
The Second Coming

Post Robert Jordan and WofT

'Patriotism is supporting your country all the time...and your government when it deserves it.' ~Mark Twain

Save the planet. Kill a hippie.

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:03 am
Linda McMahon

It's because she's Aes Sedai. As you read the series, you'll start to see how the politics of the world work, and how the Aes Sedai function. One of Jordan's better world-building techniques is how much emphasis he places on propaganda and rumour - a recurring theme in the novels is how ordinary people misunderstand the actions of the protagonists, the Prophecies of the Dragon and the policies of the Aes Sedai. People know they're going good work, but they don't ever trust them.

On the other hand, if you're reading for feminist themes, you may have some difficulty with later books. Jordan does have a thing for strong women, but he also has a thing for bringing them down...hard. Usually it's at the hands of other powerful women, but some of the stuff that happens almost reads like fetish erotica in places.

Oh, and the books slow down. A lot. I'm going to tell you right now to actually not bother reading Crossroads of Twilight, because nothing happens in it, and New Spring is a completely pointless prequel to the series, so skip that too.

- it's a space opera novel I wrote.

I have some shit on Kindle too: ,

Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:22 am
Profile E-mail
The Second Coming

Don't read Crossroads of Twilight and New Spring. Gotcha. Thanks for the warning ;)

I understand why the characters don't trust, well I do and I don't. She's Aes Sedai, yes, but I haven't a full grasp of what that means. All I've managed to really understand so far (and again, like 400 pages into the first book) is that their kinda like the Jedi, so they're all different kinds of people, they're a select few that can touch the One Power and the guys are really bad at it. There is that distrust there, that stems from...well that I don't know either. I'm sure it will reveal itself in time. You're right about how he builds everything up, I know its all coming, honest, I'm just impatient and must know immediately. I'm looking forward to where the politics get explained and the whole picture is displayed. I do like how he's done that, there's clearly a lot going on but we're only allowed to know that they're on the run because, for whatever reason, the Dark One is after one of them. A build like that is a good story.

I just found it interesting that there is that contrast between the narrator and the characters. Every book I've read, the narrator reflects the main character(s) feelings on a situation, a trustworthy/untrustworthy character or whatever. I've never seen it where it's really been the opposite. It makes you think more about what everyone is thinking, or not thinking, but it almost has made it confusing for me. I think that's just me as a reader, I have this tendency to want everything explained to me, I have a lot of nagging questions where I'm at now and they're distracting me from whats going on. You don't get the insight into the characters right away that you do in a lot of books.

'Patriotism is supporting your country all the time...and your government when it deserves it.' ~Mark Twain

Save the planet. Kill a hippie.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:12 am
Too much time on my hands

She acts like a bitch 24/7. I wouldn't trust her either.

But then again, I only read three of the books.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:49 am
Linda McMahon

- it's a space opera novel I wrote.

I have some shit on Kindle too: ,

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:49 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]