[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
Twisted Experience and TCW - View topic - Save the Brand...
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Save the Brand... 
Biggest and Baddest of the Mamma Jammest

Post Save the Brand...
So after watching another painful show of ECW (thankfully on the PVR), two things hit me.
First was I knew why I love e-fedding so much, because of the story and the range of characters. The second was, I KNOW I can book a show better than this.

So here's what I have for the creative sports-entertainment-minded. (Yeah, I dunno)

You are now booking for ECW. (Congratulations, and I'm sorry)

Vince has come forth and said that you may have any 6 players from the other 2 brands, no more than 2 current title holders (who will lose the gold in order to move to the show [yay morale]).

Who would you pick and who would you start working them against?

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:47 am
Too much time on my hands

I really don't think ECW is doing poorly. It's definantly my favorite of the 3 brands. But to play along, I think I'd take:

Kenny Dykstra (heel)
Jamie Noble (crowd decides)
Chuck Palumbo (face)
Shelton Benjamin (face)
Deuce & Domino (heels)

I didn't want to take anyone too big, because that would instantly take away the feeling that CM Punk/Burke/Morrison/Dreamer is main event. I grabbed Dykstra because he's good enough in the ring, people instantly dont' like him, and would be a good addition to the seemingly reborn New Breed.

I'd want to add a second singles title. TV Title, with the standard 20 minute time limit. Every once in a while, have the match go the distance, giving the belt a serious feel. I'd probably put Noble as big threat there, and let the crowd decide whether he's face or heel. Just have him be his pitbull self and see where it takes him. Also in the division as serious contenders would be Deuce, Domino, Dykstra, Dreamer (when he's not on the lower side of the main event roster), Richards (Jobber that occasionally wins, but never holds the title), and Cor Von. Swap Cor Von and Thorne around between TV and World mix as needed.

Deuce and Domino would be together, but not as a straight tag team. I just think their street style fits with ECW right now.

Palumbo and Benjamin are Punk's running buddies. The other faces in the main event scene. Probably have Shelton feud with either Morrison or Burke, whoever isn't champ or chasing it. Palumbo fights Thorne or Corvon.

Regarding Big Daddy V, I don't like him. He's fine for a Smackdown, but doesn't fit ECW. BDV is someone you feed to your superhero champ, and I don't think ECW should have that kind of champ. I'd have him feud with Palumbo for a bit, with Palumbo edging him out, then send BDV to Smackdown to fight Taker or something. That way, Viscera is gone, and Palumbo is established as the power guy.

Boogeyman is a side attraction. I don't put him in contention for either title. I'd also never let a feud get concluded firmly. Fued him with some heel for a few weeks, and sort of trade off fueds before it ends. Heel number two interferes for some reason, and play it up that Heel number one escaped. That way, crowd gets to see Boogey's entrance and the worms, but he doesn't bury anyone else. Boogey doesn't need a title.

The big goal for me was to make friends/factions, because they only get 1 hour a week. In order to keep several storylines going, so that you don't see the same matchups every week, you need to be able to do 6man tags and the like to progress multiple feuds. It's also a good place to introduce a TV Title guy as a threat to the World Title via "upset" pin and such. I also don't want a dominate champ. Make the whole brand a kind of young lions feel, always battling for dominance. Besides, you have the dominate champ thing on the other two brands. Let ECW be something different.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:58 pm

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:48 pm
Linda McMahon

Personally, I'd ditch any hope of replicating the old ECW. I don't really know the WWE roster well enough to make any picks, so I'll just give my general thoughts:

If it's going to be ECW in name only, come at it from a different angle. ECW wasn't great because people got hit with chairs, it was great because they were on the frontier of modern wrestling, doing their own thing and forging their own destiny in defiance of the WWF and WCW. They were cool. That's not going to happen while they're just a third brand, so run an angle where the ECW brand is explicitly referred to as a C-show. Vince can do a worked-shoot where he says that ECW was third-rate originally and it's third-rate now. He'll say that he's going to run the ECW name down, and use the brand as a farm-league before leeching any successful talent from it come the next draft.

You don't even need to shake up the roster now: young guys want to prove themselves (and make it up to the 'big leagues') and the old ECW alumni don't want to see their good name destroyed. Both groups have storyline motivations for making their brand a success and sticking it to the man, but the youngsters are pricks about it, because they'll jump ship as soon as they can, while the old guard are loyal to ECW.

Using these motivations, you can also do fairly easy face turns - all it takes is one young heel refusing the offer to go to Raw or Smackdown and he becomes a huge face for being loyal to the show that made him. You breed into the fans a sense that ECW is a struggling promotion that Vince could crush at any time, and which showcases the hardest working talent in WWE: after all, these guys are working for their jobs, not for petty vendettas and shiny belts. The ECW champion becomes the leader of a group of renegades, or perhaps Vince brings in a big hitter from Raw or Smackdown to win it and parade it around on the other shows to run it down. Every time someone pisses on ECW, it fuels them and makes the fans want to see them succeed even more.

That's how I'd do it anyway.

- it's a space opera novel I wrote.

I have some shit on Kindle too: ,

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:59 pm
Profile E-mail

Confundo Ergo Sum

Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:54 pm

Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:54 am
Linda McMahon

I booked FWRFed with a roster of less than a ten when I started out. I know e-fedding is neither here nor there, but you can make interesting TV with a limited roster. It just requires a willingness to run with long-term feuds.

- it's a space opera novel I wrote.

I have some shit on Kindle too: ,

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:00 am
Profile E-mail

Yeah bro. But honestly. The depth of e-fedding more than makes up for lack of roster depth. There can be a myriad of sub-characters, henchmen, fed staff, etc. How often are we seeing these guys interacting with whomever in their hotel room, a bar, a gym, whatever. And if we do, it is 99.99% nowhere near the level or time that a fedder would put into it. And honestly out of the 11 people available on the roster until the other 2 return, what long-term feud, with current ECW TV time, would you honestly be tuning in to follow? We have Big Daddy V being billed as a monster, but he's being portrayed as semi(?) dominant. He's already been jobbed to Boogey. We're supposed to believe that he can beat Punk now? Or Burke? He's been booked so poorly that even a bodyguard angle for Stryker is beside the point. Unless Stryker is running from Tommy Dreamer or Balls. They have a lot of reworking to do if the brand is really planning on sticking around.

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]