[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
Twisted Experience and TCW - View topic - Wooooooorld cup baby!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Wooooooorld cup baby! 
in a cardboard box

Post Wooooooorld cup baby!
Ok, so the world cup (THE world cup) of football begins in less then a week. I know that football isn't a huge sport inthe US but hey, we are of all kinds here :)

These are my predictions:

Group A:
German and Poland advances, no question. The German swon't fail on home soil.

Group B:
Sweden and England advances. England hasn't beaten Sweden since the 60's and without Rooney (as it seems) that won't change.

Group C:
Argentina and the Netherlands will have a comfortable ride to the second round. Ivort Coast will be a "zero pointer" this tournament.

Group D:
After thinking about this group of oh at least 2 seconds I predict Portugal and Mexico advancing. Note the retro-hammer and sickle on Angola's flag. Why? Because that will be the only noteworthy thing about that team.

Group E:
Italy and the Czech Republic advances. The US can provide trouble for the Czehcs though, so watch out.

Group F:
Brazil and Croatia will advance. Japan did well in the last world cup but they had the backing of a near fanatical home crowd then, Australia can be a dark horse for sure. Nothing will threaten Brazil as the winners of the group though.

Group G:
France takes this group, no doubt. Second place will be decided in a fight between Switzerland and Korea, Korea did well last WCbut had the same backing as Japan, I'll give the Koreans a slight edge though.

Group H:
Spain are the chokers of international football, they always get to teh big dance but once there they sit onthe sidelines and watch the big guys take home the attractive ladies, nontheless SPain clinches first place. Second place is a lot more difficult. The Ukraine, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia are all dark horses. It's close to impossible to predict but I give the Tunisia the edge, they have been here before and may end up advancing. Nothing is for sure in the group though.

My predictions will leave this round of 16:

Germany - England: I'm going to get killed by the English here, but Germant is too strong. ze germans advances.
Argentina - Mexico: Argentina wins the clash with Mexico.

Sweden - Poland: Sweden advances by virtue of a very strong team.
Portugal - The Netherlands: Portugal wins over a Netherlands that has seen it's prime slowly fade.

Italy - Croatia: Italy beats Croatia.
France - Tunisia: No doubt, Le Bleu wins.

Brazil - Czech Republic: Oh man, Brazil's samba football will triumph over central euopean strength.
Spain- Korea: Spain won't choke here.

This leaves us with this Quaterfinals line up:

Germany - Argentina: The Germans will not be denied on homesoil and they will advance.
Sweden - Portugal: I have a feeling that Sweden's fun will end here...sadly.
Italy - France: Talk about a coin flip match. I'll give Italy the edge.
Brazil - Spain: Welcome to chokesville Espanana.

So these will be teh Semi finals:

Germany - Portugal: At this stage all bets are off,but germany clinches it.
Italy - Brazil:Saying Brazil will win the match is bout as new and novel as saying the rain is wet, but I think Italy can be a problem, add to that the rarity of a non-european team winning the world cup on european soil (although Brazil are the ones who have done it). I say the sky blue italians advance.

Finals:

Germany - Italy: Can it get more classic in football then this? Hardly. It will be German knackwurrst und sauerktraut vs Pizza and pasta. In that match up, the Italians win a cruching victory, but on the pitch it will be a different story. This match has all the makings of not being decided during regulation time, my prediction: Italy wins.

It is quite rare for the host nation to win the cup.

Updated on January 7th 2007.
"HISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools"
- Ambrose Birce, The Devil's Dictionary

Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:17 am
Profile E-mail ICQ
Linda McMahon

Post Re: Wooooooorld cup baby!
And these are mine:

Group A:
Yup, I'll agree with Germany and Poland here.

Group B:
Sweden and England here too, but don't sell us short - Rooney is only one player :P

Group C:
Argentina and the Netherlands. No question.

Group D:
Yup, yup, agree with Portugal and Mexico.

Group E:
I'm almost tempted to go with the USA, but whichever way you cut it, they're not going to beat a European team in international football, though they might bring it to goal difference or something. Italy and the Czech Rep.

Group F:
Croatia usually seem to do better than their reputation would suggest, so I have no qualms about putting them alongside Brazil as advancers in this group. Australia suffer from USA syndrome - their team just does not contain the quality of atheletes that countries with a larger football following do. Japan might mix things up though, but I put them in close 3rd for this group only.

Group G:
France all the way. I'm going to back a dark horse in Togo too, just for fun.

Group H:
Spain should have no trouble advancing, followed by Tunisia in second place, I'm thinking.

My predictions will leave this round of 16:

Germany - England: I say we can take them. It'll be close (penalties most likely) but we know we can pull it off against the Germans when we need to.

Argentina - Mexico: Argentina.

Sweden - Poland: Sweden wins without too much trouble

Portugal - The Netherlands: I think the Netherlands will take this one. Portugal were looking weak at the last European cup, despite beating us.

Italy - Croatia: Italy beats Croatia.

France - Tunisia: France, obviously.

Brazil - Czech Republic: Brazil, with no problems at all.

Spain- Togo: Spain will crush the dreams of Togo, but they'll put up a fight.

This leaves us with this Quaterfinals line up:

England - Argentina: Hmm...this one is always interesting. We've beaten Argentina consistently in the past and, if Rooney is fit by this time, we should be able to win again here.

Sweden - Netherlands: I give it to the Netherlands.

Italy - France: France, I think.

Brazil - Spain: Brazil has no trouble here.

So these will be teh Semi finals:

England - Netherlands: As always in these competitions, England survives onslaughts from the best teams in the world, and goes out to a relatively weak team. Netherlands will take it on penalties, much to the delight of my Dutch friend Seb, no doubt.

France - Brazil: Brazil are unassailable, even by the French. It'll be one hell of a game though.

Finals:

The Nertherlands - Brazil: Brazil will take it.

- it's a space opera novel I wrote.

I have some shit on Kindle too: ,

Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Too much time on my hands

Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Linda McMahon

Holland
Spain
Serbia
England (poor coaching and random substitutions aside)
Trinidad & Tobago
Croatia
Ecuador

Teams who have not impressed me so far:

Brazil
France
Germany (they missed five easy chances in exchange for their one goal tonight)
Sweden (sorry, Magnus)

It's been a very interesting tournament thus far. Brazil were distinctly average against Croatia with Ronaldo looking like he had no interest even being there and Ronaldinho just not doing enough to make a difference. Kaka's goal was outstanding, but it wasn't enough from the best team in the world. France and Germany have looked very poor.

The way I see it, this is anybody's cup right now...

Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:04 pm
Profile E-mail
in a cardboard box

I agree with Thommy's list. Sweden did a piss poor match against Trinidad/Tobago. The only news worthy thing the Swedish squad has managed to do is some infighting.

But I was appaled with how poor the Brazilians did, they seemed unfocused and confused.

Germany has never impressed me, but then again, German football is among the most boringimaginable.

"HISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools"

Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:18 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ

Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Linda McMahon

Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:50 pm
Profile E-mail

Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
in a cardboard box

Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:57 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ
Unintentionally Hilarious

Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:27 pm
Profile E-mail
Linda McMahon

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Linda McMahon

Analysis of the England vs. Sweeden game and the England team in general (or "Why England Will Not Win The World Cup")

1. We have no attacking strength to speak of. Here's why:

1a. Owen is out of the tournament. I knew this the second he went down. This is unfourtunate but his form has been questionable anyway and, hey, Sven really should have prepared for this as he's been injured all season anyway (see point 1d, later)

1b. Rooney is not match fit. Yeah, he might be healed - whatever - but at the end of the day, he didn't kick a ball until two weeks ago which means he's got zero form. He knows it, we know it.

1c. Crouch is useless outside the box. He scores from long balls and set pieces or, occasionally, feeds it forward to another striker (which, oops, we don't have anymore...)

1d. This would be moot if we'd brought along more than four forwards, unfourtunatley, Sven decided he'd have some fun and put 17 year old, untried in top-flight football, Theo Walcott rather than an established, reliable striker like DeFoe.

2. We are relying on heroic efforts rather than a team game. Look how our defence fell apart without Rio Ferdinand or how vital Rooney seems to be. That said, I was pleased that the team kept their heads when Owen went down rather than just collapsing like we all expected. Nonetheless, the best teams in the world don't rely on one or two star players to act as lynchpins. Even Brazil, despite the fame and prestige of Ronaldinho and (before this tournemant) Ronaldo, win because they have a fantastic all-round side. We need less moments like John Terry's desperate defence of the goal in the game against Trindad and Tobago and more of the passing game we showed in the first half against Sweden.

3. What is it with us and second halves? the same thing happened in Japan and Korea. We play like the team we should be at the start of the game then, 15 minutes later, we're a totally different side. I have to wonder what Sven says to them in the changing room to make them show such an abysmal transformation in each and every game.

As things stand, we will go out to Argentina in the quarter finals, most likely. We have no one up front, we have a defence that seems to depend on a single man who now has a possible groin injury. Thankfully, our midfield is nothing short of incredible, but it comes down to that 'heroic effort' thing again - we need less of Joe Cole having to make a ditch effort to score an amazing goal like that and more of Gerrard's finishes.

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:22 pm
Profile E-mail

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
Linda McMahon

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:29 pm
Profile E-mail

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Proud alumnus of F U

1x TCW Tag Team Champion (w/Shadow)

PD's current record 50-29-3 (I'm 56-36-4 overall)
EWI's 5th ranked wrestler for 2005, 2004, 2002 & 2001. Way to be consistent.

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:02 pm
Profile E-mail
in a cardboard box

Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:59 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ

Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:59 am
Profile WWW
It's Hammer Time!

HOORAY GHANA! JIMMY RAVE!

"Sweet & Sour" Steve Cook says:
I don't do dudes
Rich says:
no one expected you to, but i do believe it or not