[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
Twisted Experience and TCW - View topic - BALLS!! 52 of them
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 BALLS!! 52 of them 
Too much time on my hands

Post BALLS!! 52 of them

Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:30 pm
Profile WWW

Confundo Ergo Sum

Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:51 pm
C-Evil-O

You knew I would do anything for you when I came back with your Burger King.

Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:54 pm

Yeah, their timetable is going to be short, but they've got some of the best working on this and they have made preperations to divide the work-load even further should it not work. I don't know. It's going to be very hard to pull this off. They also have to figure out how to put this into a trade format because that market is growing larger every day for comics. They won't want to alienate them. Maybe bi-monthly trades? The other things is that I am going to be pissed if I miss a week. Should I not be able to go for a week here or there, I'll be totally lost.

As for forgetting, I don't think this will ever be forgotten. I still remember the failure known as Bloodlines a few years ago (1995? 96? Something like that) where they tried to bring in the "New Blood" characters like GUNFIRE!! WOOT! Actually, some of them were fairly successful, if only for awhile like Hitman and Sparx.

As for 52, if it works, it will be remembered as a tremendous success and, if it doesn't, it will be remembered as a tremendous failure.

-Matt

Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Under Carder

The weekly thing is no biggie. I buy comics every week. If New Avengers, or Young Avengers came out every week at 2.50 or 2.99 and it was able to maintain it's quality, I would have no problem buying it every week.

Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:14 pm

I think you'd be the exception rather than the rule though. DC won't want to alienate those readers that can't afford it. Not to mention a lot of readers simply won't see the need to pay that much every week when it costs the same for a book once a month. They'll have to reduce the price to around 1.50 or 2.00 at the absolute most, I think. I'll be curious to see if they offer the title for subscription. It will be hard to keep up with things that way as the mail isn't always moving like clockwork, not to mention that the prices for shipping and reduced subscription rates might not make it worthwhile. Some readers only read books via subscription though. I'm really interested to see how this pans out.

Coren, out of curiosity, what was the Batman-OYL thing that you were referring to? I had heard that--

**POSSIBLE SPOILER

Bruce Wayne might be exposed as Batman and have to go into hiding and that Dick Grayson would take over the role as Batman, thus cancelling his own title. Is that it or is there a newer and/or other one?

**END POSSIBLE SPOILER**

Has anyone else heard anything regarding the revamped One Year Later titles? They've announced that some teams will change their rosters, some titles will be cancelled and some new titles will start. What are your thoughts of what could/should happen with this? My personal hope is that they will get the Big Three away from the JLA although I'm not getting my hopes up too high there. I think Batman won't be in it, but I'm not as sure about Superman or Wonder Woman. I'd love to see a JLA or another Justice League title with the lesser known and less used characters getting the spotlight.

-Matt

Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Under Carder

But why would you reduce the price when you are getting 4 books a month instead of 1? You aren't gettng 4 shorter than usual books that add up to what would normally be one comic (I assume). You are getting 4 full comics a month. I may be the exception, but I really don't see the problem. I feel alienated when I go 2 months without getting my next issue of Astonishing X-Men. If They wanted to run a book a week, I would be ecstatic. As it is I usually buy around 5 books a week. Adding another 2.50 or 2.99 a week onto that (if I were to follow this particular book) is nothing. Another 10-15 bucks a month maybe.

Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:33 pm

That's exactly why you would have to reduce the price. Because you are getting more of them per month.

A) Not everyone can afford 10-15 dollars a month extra
B) In the short term, looking at it on a monthly basis, it might not seem like much, but in effect, you would wind up paying 4 times more per year for this title than any other. That probably won't go over too well, especially if they have subscriptions. Dropping Twenty-something a year for a title is a lot easier than dropping seventy or eighty-something a year on one title.
C) They also don't want to market to strictly hard-core DC fans and want to market to the more casual reader. If the casual reader sees Weekly: $2.99 right beside Monthly: $2.99 they will probably be more inclined to check out the monthly title and save the dollars.
D) Then there's just the flat-out public image. Even if it was hypothetically successful at full price, DC will not want to have 52 seen as a marketing ploy to get the big bucks. They will want to make a profit, obviously, but they will want to be remembered for the mini-series and not the cost.

-Matt

Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Under Carder

Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:03 pm

Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:09 pm
Profile WWW

Confundo Ergo Sum

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:47 pm

Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
C-Evil-O

Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:07 pm

Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
C-Evil-O

Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:56 pm

Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]