[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
Twisted Experience and TCW - View topic - Pub Quiz
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Pub Quiz 
Linda McMahon

Post Pub Quiz
I was at a Pub Quiz last night. For those who don't know, the idea is that you have a quiz, and you're in a pub.

Okay, so, one of the questions was this:

"Which is the only US State that contains six consecutive vowels?"

Tough one, eh?

We were struggling, until one of my friends remembered he was wearing a jacket with a map of the USA on the lining! He whipped it out and we pored over the map, trying to find the elusive six vowels together. We also knew, due to the nature of the round (next answer starts with the last latter of the previous answer), that it ended with an 'A', narrowing down the search considerably.

We couldn't figure it out.

A minute or two later, the quizmaster clarifies the question (they obviously get sent them by an outside company or something) by saying, "Actually the question is wrong: it's five vowels in total, and four consecutive vowels."

Uh...okay...

So we start our search again, and no State seems to match that criterion either. The closest, we decide, is Louisiana (three consecutive, six in total). We put that down and hoped the question had been mangled again.

The eventual answer?

Pennsylvania.

:zuh:

The best bit was that, when we took our scores in for that round, my friend mentioned that Pennsylvania didn't meet the criteria for either question and the quizmaster said, "There are four vowels at the end..."

To which my (English student) friend replied, "Listen, I'm not one to be picky about something so nebulous as 'the English language' but 'n' is not a vowel."

She had to admit he was right, but had no way to award anyone a point back since there was no right answer that could have satisfied the question, least of all Pennsyl-fucking-vania. :bang: :cuss:

- it's a space opera novel I wrote.

I have some shit on Kindle too: ,

Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:51 pm
Profile E-mail
Can thou not hearest? Let me turneth it up!

I have no money, I am a failure, my leaders have led me to ruin, and I welcome the absolving embrace of death.

Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:04 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Too much time on my hands

My favorite was "What state is tall in the middle and round towards the ends?"

Ohio.

Oh how we laughed...

Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:24 pm
Linda McMahon

- it's a space opera novel I wrote.

I have some shit on Kindle too: ,

Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:29 pm
Profile E-mail