[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2914)
Twisted Experience and TCW - View topic - It's weird feeling
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 It's weird feeling 
Too much time on my hands

Post It's weird feeling

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:37 pm
in a cardboard box

Updated on January 7th 2007.
"HISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools"
- Ambrose Birce, The Devil's Dictionary

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:47 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ
Linda McMahon

Warning: college kid with no real life experience about to chime in.

Your situation reminds me of when I quit physics at university. (Background note: in the UK, you don't do majors or minors, you just apply to study one thing for the whole time you're in college) Anyway, I like physics, and I was pretty good at it in school. I was also good at english, but a physics degree is more useful, right? So I signed up for this thing and then, within approximatley thirty seconds of my first class (which was a maths test...) I knew it wasn't for me.

But I stuck it out, because I thought it would get better. It didn't. I failed my first year but, because colleges are smart, they let me through anyway. This was not a good idea of them, because by this stage I was just thinking in terms of getting it over with. But you can't dedicate yourself to something you don't actually want to do. So I quit. Just hit rock bottom one night and said "fuck this".

I had no idea what was going to happen, apart from a vague idea to transfer to english (which I wasn't even sure was possible) and even less idea of how to explain all this to my parents, who were paying for me to be there.

The relief outweighed it all though. No matter what happened, I didn't have to spent 8 hours a week in a lab. I never had to do calculus again. That project I was supposed to do but didn't even start? No one would ever care. It was awesome.

Utimatley, really turning things around wasn't that easy and it was a pretty tough 6 months while I just waited for everything to sort itself out and for my new course to start. But it was better than doing something I hated.

- it's a space opera novel I wrote.

I have some shit on Kindle too: ,

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:48 pm
Profile E-mail

See that's the thing, I really hated this job. Where there perks? You better believe it. Great pay for somebody with my background (IE no degree), good benifits, free school, paid vacations, etc etc. All the perks were there except almost no form of enjoyment. The highlight of my average day was hanging out in the smoke pit with my co-workers and gab about whatever the topic of the day was. O, and on the slow days when my manager was in meetings or away, I could write my fued posts :D .

I am just glad to never have to go there again. But I will miss some of my "smoking buddies", ya know, those people you don't really know but have a blast talking to will enjoying a smoke?

Hmmm....come to think of it. This could be a perfect time to quit. Why shed part of my "skin", when I can shed a large part of it. I must consider this.

Quick! I need female input on all this! They seem to be more logical.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:59 pm
Linda McMahon

Haha, I was about to remark on you smoking, but you already said you were quitting now.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:03 pm
Profile E-mail

No, I said I am considering it. Difference :D

It's really funny why I started smoking to begin with lol. When I was in the USAF, I was the only guy in my shop who didn't smoke. That meant that when everybody went out to smoke, and they all went out together for easily 15-20min., I got tasked to sweep the bays. Well, I didn't want to sweep the bays anymore, so I started smoking just so I could go out for the smoke break when they did.

Perhaps one of the dumbest reasons to start, but it fits given how I am.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:06 pm
Linda McMahon

Didn't that happen to Rachael in Friends once?

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:08 pm
Profile E-mail

IT HAPPENED! I finally feel another emotion! I feel like I wanna cry. :cry:

In the past 20min., three of my co-workers have called me wishing me the best and dropping the "keep in touch" line, which I will mind you, I love these guys.

But it makes me sad now. Thommy, tell a joke!

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:39 pm
Linda McMahon

Did you hear about the muppet frog who cried about quitting his job?

It turns out he's a goddamn pussy :x

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:43 pm
Profile E-mail

:D

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:44 pm
World Champ

R.I.P Wild Pegasus and Black Tiger II

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." DOUGLAS ADAMS (1952-2001)

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:05 am
Profile E-mail

Well, sinces boys and girls are behind me on this, it must be right. And the fact that I am getting about a $2000 by the end of the week makes me feel all the better. :D

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:22 pm
World Champ

See, you'll be fine. Just don't go spending it all at once.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." DOUGLAS ADAMS (1952-2001)

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:29 pm
Profile E-mail

*hides new computer and PS3 behind a curtain*

Not at all! :D

Honestly, this is bill money. Combine with my last two paychecks, I can reasonable go three months without working. My rent will be paid, bills paid, and I will still have cash for the occasional eating out, movies, and some shopping (I need new nice clothes anyway). I never thought quitting a job would be this easy.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:02 pm
World Champ

I'm looking forward to the payout of holiday money I've acrued and not used. It should probably go into savings though :( I'm useless at saving money

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:09 pm
Profile E-mail

You and me both sister. The only reason I have any money in savings is because I had it set up that every paycheck for the past 2 years had $100 taken out of it and placed into a Savings account that I could not touch via ATM or Online Banking. The only way I can get this money is to actually go into the bank itself. Keeps me from being stupid. Which I am known too be.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:20 pm
World Champ

That's just way to organised for me. I need to make more of an effort though. I haven't even started paying off my student loan :(

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:23 pm
Profile E-mail

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:34 pm
World Champ

Haha, a bit. Almost free money though. If I get stuck on minimum wage for the rest of my life I don't have to pay it back!

Some of it is still squirreled away earning money, but I should look at paying it back. Or maybe wait until it's grown to the full amount.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:37 pm
Profile E-mail

Or you can fake your own death and never pay it back. Just tossing the idea out there.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next